Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hand Me a Pina Colada and the Calculator, Please

It's Thursday and I'm feelin' crazy.


Not your typical stay-at-home-mum-with-a-twitching-eye-and-"baby-flung-oatmeal"-matted-in-your-hair-and-wearing-yesterday's-mascara kind of crazy.  

That's the typical kind of crazy and who wants craziness that is typical?

Shouldn't crazy be atypical

I think it should.

So, because it's Thursday and I'm feeling atypical craziness in my bones (btw - I really do have a weird twitching eye thing...honest...ask my friend Randee....she knows....and still loves me just the same) I'm doing something on this little bitty blog of mine that I've never done before.  Not ever.

Ready?

(drum roll)

I'm having a giveaway!!!!!!!!!

(me and my blog here just want to be liked and to have friends and sit at the cool table - just like all of the other popular blogs)

Let's get straight to the best part of this zaniness that is crowding my cranium this morning - the prize

If you give the correct answer to my question (patience, children, put your hands down - I haven't asked you the question yet) you will win: 

* An exclusive, all inclusive trip for 4 to the tropical paradise that is Hawaii. 10 days and 10 nights of pineapple eating, and snorkeling, and tanning, and hula-ing, and surfing, and whatever else tickles your island fancy.  If you need a babysitter, we will happily watch your children for you.  All 10 days. They will be clean and happy and well fed and taken care of when you come to retrieve them.  

Sounds good, eh?  (I married a Canadian)

Here's the question:

How many leaves did we rake up this year?




No, sillies, I don't expect your answer to be exact.  That would be ridiculous.  

(funny little blog buddies!)

It just must be within 100 of the actual number.



Here's Shaw doing his figuring.


Here's from a different angle.


Yes, your answer must include the leaves that are still lingering on the lawn near the curb. See, those right there, near the wheelbarrow? Those need to be counted too.


No, the leaves don't have to be completely whole to be counted.  They must, however, be at least 3/4 whole to count.  That's just to keep it fair for everyone.

'Cause we're all about being fair around here.

The first person with the correct number (within 100) wins.  Deadline is next Monday at 2:00 p.m.  (That's when my stories come on and I don't want to be bothered with it after that.)

Ready?

Set?

Aloha!

(and good luck!)

10 comments:

Aim said...

Wow that is a lot of leaves, we might have you beat though. Our whole back yard is covered with a blanket of leaves, several deep and our cherry tree hasn't lost most of it's leaves yet. I am going to guess 130,000,000.

Julie said...

Are you really asking how many you raked up or how many it felt like you raked up? :) I know there is a difference! My guess would be more in the 10,000 range, but it probably felt more like first post's guess of 130,000,000.

Chadwick said...

That's a lot of leaves. And I would never belittle that fact. However, our 7 trees have got yours beat. And our rose hedge means we had to pick them up, carry them around the roses, then dump them in the street. I figure we had 60 bags at about 25 pounds per bag, totaling 1500 lbs of leaves That's three-quarters of a ton. I read on the Internet that each whole leaf weighs 0.1 grams. So I figure I moved 680,388 leaves. Not millions, but a lot. Really puts in perspective how much a million really is.

Mitchell Family said...

chadwick wins...looks like he's off to the big island! aren't you glad we live in farmington and you just have to get them to the street!

about the eye twitch...it's only semi noticable. if you'd quit bringing attention to it, no one would notice it....maybe.

Kristen said...

Yes, Chadwick you and your 7 mighty trees beat us and our 5. And the rose bushes? Ugh! Glad I don't have to deal with those. They are beautiful and your yard always looks amazing but the language that would come out of my mouth while having to rake around them would detract from their beauty, that's for sure.

Very impressed with your calculations. Mr. Mathematician, you!

Suzanne said...

2,458,210,659
We just don't rake...at least I don't - there's 4 other able-bodied persons here who can take care of that.

Julie said...

And that's why we have palm trees! No raking going on here (of course the leaves around here don't fall off until December since our weather doesn't get cold until then!) But think how much fun it is for the kids to jump through the pile of leaves - unless of course it's while you're trying to pick them up!

Rita said...

I drove down a lane in Farmington just today to see multiple people outside taking care of their piles! What a hassle but one well worth the summer shade and fall splendor :)

Gibbs Family said...

Too many to count. That's my guess... so when should I have my bags packed?? ...(I've so got this won!)

Nellie Jane said...

Kristen, do you know that your blog is probably one of my favorites to read! I don't just get caught up on your life and your kids doings, but I also get to read about your thoughts and cool insights and funny points of view. It's really refeshing. Thanks. Since we don't have anything to rake up, except coconuts, and a rake doesn't really work anyway, I'll guess 742,500...IhopeIwinIhopeIwin!!! :)