Sunday, November 15, 2009

Reaching the Age of Accountability

"...show unto your God that ye are willing to repent
of your sins and enter into a covenant with him to keep
his commandments, and witness it unto him this day
by going into the waters of baptism."
- Alma 7:15 (Book of Mormon)


Yesterday was a momentous day for Brittan and our family.  As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, it is our belief that 8 years old is the age of accountability in which a child knows the difference between right and wrong and can enter into the waters of baptism by choice and with a knowledge and understanding of the promises they are making. Brittan was ready to take upon himself the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and to live to be an example of him.

Although in its infancy, Brittan's testimony is growing and expanding as he learns more about the gospel and the principles that we strive to follow.


"Our church is true because Joseph Smith brought our church back to the earth.  He restored the Priesthood.  I know Joseph Smith is a true prophet because he was very faithful and obedient."


His famous Aunt Carene and cousin Chante both gave talks.

"I believe the Book of Mormon was written by true prophets.  It teaches me about miracles that have happened, that I must repent, and that I need to be baptized like Jesus.  He didn't need to be baptized but he did so he could be our example."



"Heavenly Father gave us families.  I'm happy about that because we can be comforted and loved by our families."
 


"When I get older I'm going to go to the temple so I can get married 
there and feel the Holy Ghost a lot."

-  Brittan

4 comments:

Julie said...

Brittan has a pretty great testimony. What a wonderful day! I look forward to seeing him grow in the gospel. You guys are doing alot of things right as parents!

Suzanne said...

Congratulations Brittan!
I thought all those bits of his testimony were quotes from Conference or something at first - until I saw his name at the bottom. He's got a VERY mature testimony, I think.
Was Nov. 14th your stake's regular Baptism Day or did you do his Baptism on your own? We had our Baptisms on Halloween (and we got complaints, of course) since that was the Saturday before November's Fast Sunday.

Lori said...

congrats Brittan.

Jana said...

What a beautiful testimony! Congratulations Britton on choosing to be baptized.