Thursday, June 4, 2009

Eating Bon Bons and Watching My "Stories"

Jeff rolled over this morning and asked me what I had going on today.  A simple inquiry, yet I always fear there's more behind the question mark.  I know Jeff sometimes wonders what I do all day long.  He teases me continually that I watch those cheap and provocative soaps while indulging in chocolate and sparkling cider.  


He thinks he's got me pegged.

So when he asked me, "What have you got going on today?" these thoughts sequentially filed through my mind:

Get up, get ready, get the kids ready and off to school, get myself and Shaw out the door by 8:45 a.m.

Head to the Jr. High to help in Kennedy's science class.  Last day of science means an ice cream sundae classification party.  Ice cream at 9:00 a.m.?  I will not partake.  Teenagers have stronger stomachs and more sugar tolerance than I.

Drive directly from the Jr. High to Dick's Market in Centerville to pick up another dozen mini crescents.  They messed up my order that I placed on Tuesday and I picked up yesterday. Ugh! When will I learn to check my purchases before I leave the store?   20 minutes wasted on extra driving.

Take a quick 30 minutes at home to try and clean up from the morning's whirlwind routine. Shaw's breakfast bananas were brown and shriveled and stuck to everything within a 4 ft. radius of his highchair.  Why must he throw his food?  If you're done, politely put it to the side, sit quietly, and wait patiently to be excused from breakfast and cleaned up.  Bananas are meant to be eaten, not used as squishy projectiles. I swear, sometimes he acts likes he's one or something.

Head to the church at 11:15 a.m. to put on a luncheon for around 30 Elect Ladies of the ward (that is code for the more mature in age) at 12:30 p.m. This is one of my current callings.  I've been preparing their sack lunch picnic for 2 days now and the crescent mishap was part of the stress.  But can I tell you how fun it is to watch older Sisters eat a lunch out of a brightly colored paper sack?  They swapped chips with each other, they drank their soda through a striped, bendy straw, they reminisced about school lunches and picnics of yesteryears.  It is always so fun to watch.  They come, they eat, they laugh and visit, and then say it's time to go because they "have a million things to get done at home".  I hope Heavenly Father blesses me with a million things to do when I'm 88 years old.

Clean up from the luncheon, head to pick up Shaw from a friend's house, come home and put him down for a nap.  By now it's 2:00 p.m.  Spend time cleaning my still untidy kitchen, make my bed, do some laundry, do a general clean sweep of the house.

Check my email.  Start to read an email from Rita regarding my question about bruised toenails due to running my guts out.  She starts to say something about a needle under the toenail and I have to stop reading.  Too squeamish at the moment.  Maybe if I just ignore the pain it will go away?

Publish this post.

Boys home from school.  Have them march directly to the bathroom and scrub up as much as possible without literally climbing into the sink.  Boy do boys get grimy and stinky.  I can't say that I love it but I wouldn't have it any other way.  It means they're getting into life with both feet and rolling around in it.  
 
Run and register Jeff's new (gently used) car.  Long overdue.

A few hours of down time before the evening routine starts.  A quick dinner of leftover Elect Ladies luncheon - chicken crescent sandwiches, grapes, chips, caramel Rice Krispie treats, and 7-UP (with striped, bendy straws).

Dash to Brittan's baseball game at 7:00 p.m.  I will fly it solo because Jeff works at his private practice on Thursday nights.  Even my right hand gal, Kennedy, will be gone with a friend. Just me and my boys and the mosquitoes.

Home from game, bath time, another clean sweep of the house, teeth brushing, stories, tucking in, and boys asleep by dark (if all the stars align).  

Read remainder of Rita's email and cry.

So when Jeff gets home late, I'm already in my PJ's, make-up off, half asleep on the couch.  

He asks, "What did you do today?" 

I can't possibly disappoint him.

So, I fabricate a juicy story line from one of my imaginary soaps.  

And I offer him a truffle.

 

7 comments:

The Page's said...

My sentiments exactly. As a joke the year I was doing PTA Kevin even got me bonbon's for Christmas to go along with my many hours of soap opera watching!

Rita said...

You have GOT to get this stuff published! You are superwoman!

Sorry about the gory toenail suggestions...and even more sorry to say, you'll get used to it.

Mitchell Family said...

perfect post!!! love it! and i think rita is right...you need to get published. is our girl talking to you or are you much too busy?

what is this by the way about bruised toenails and a needles....blldsflkdjfklajdfkl (that's my heebie jeebies) hugh? please tell me your not sticking needles into your toes! kdjfkdjfkadjfkj! another round of shutters.

Aim said...

You are a good writer! You should be published! Reed thinks that I don't do much while he is at work too. If we could only trade places for a week.

Jana said...

Loved this post! My 10-yr-old son asked me once what I do at home all day. I told him that as soon as he left for school I called a few other stay-at-home moms over and we played Wii, watched movies, and ate chocolate and then about a half-hour before school gets out they hurry home and we all try to make it look like we've been busy all day! (The sad thing was he actually believed me!!) Only we know how truly busy we are!!

Suzanne said...

Ready and out the door by 8:45a.m.?!? I.AM.IMPRESSED.

Matt never asks what I do all day - he's been on his own when I've been out of town or something - HE KNOWS [a little bit] how time-consuming & never-ending it all is! ;)

Chris said...

love your post...and I, too, think you need to write something and be published. You are awesome. And you could not ask for a better person to make the luncheon for these special ladies a tremendous success. love ya!