
June 13, 1999 was a day in the history books for our family. Not only did we add another apple to our family tree, but we experienced something completely new and ventured into uncharted territory.
We had a baby boy.
A boy.
I wasn't quite sure I was ready to raise one of "them". I grew up with 2 older brothers so I knew that my experience of living with the male species was not always a positive one. Boys weren't always nice, made bathrooms dungeons of disgust, and were not very tolerant of female emotions (which I had a lot of).
I was a little nervous about trying to raise someone who came hardwired almost completely opposite of myself.

And boy, oh boy, was Taiden ALL boy. If there was a speck of dirt to be rolled around in, he found it. If there was a mess to be made, he made it. If there was a stink to be stinked, he stunk it. Busy, and noisy, and climbing on anything stable (or not). That was my Taiden. ALL BOY through and through. I remember being amazed at how young he was when his first motor sounds started as he pushed a toy car and how, at less than a year old, he grabbed an "L" shaped block and proceeded to shoot it like a gun. With only a sister to share toys with, we didn't even have a toy gun in the house. Hardwiring must come complete with knowledge of firearms.
I noticed the biggest difference between a girl and a boy is that if a girl were to walk through the family room she would do just that - walk through the family room. A boy? Well, a boy's attempt to get through the family room would include some banging, jumping, touching, sliding, and belching. And guess what I've come to terms with? It's totally, 100%, utterly normal. I've stopped my need to try and change it. I've tried to continue to learn from it and to embrace it. It's who they are. It's what they do. It's what makes them endearing and complicated and so mysterious to me. Boys are a puzzle. A puzzle that I will never be able to figure out. A puzzle without an answer key in the back of the book. A puzzle with no need of being solved.


Lucky for Taiden, he has a dad that is exactly like him. Quieter, calmer, more mellow and laid back than myself. Less competitive, more neutral, and uncomfortable with conflict. Jeff has guided me through situations and concerns that we've stumbled across through the years. He gets Taiden and knows when to tell me to chill out a bit. The two of them really are the same person. They have a great bond and enjoy so many activities together. Golfing, snowboarding/skiing, fishing, hiking, biking, camping, eating, and their newest love - long boarding.


I've learned so much from Taiden. While he is a boy to the Nth degree, he has shown me that along with the grit and grime there can also exist a tender side. Taiden is so compassionate and thoughtful. He is always looking out for others and befriends the underdogs. He is helpful to me and is the first to jump up to help me open a door if my arms are full. Often he tells me, "Go sit down and rest, mom. You've had a busy day." He is a dream to have at the dinner table. It seems that EVERY meal I make is the "best ever!" Even when I know a throw together meal doesn't deserve much praise, he always compliments me on my efforts and eats away as though it's his favorite. He is affectionate and loves to snuggle. He only likes kisses on the cheeks nowadays, but he won't go to bed without giving and receiving them.
While Taiden and Britt fight like brothers, they are also best friends. They are always building things out in the yard together. Bike ramps, fire pits, obstacle courses, forts. They squabble and bicker but that's because they're always together. Britt gets scared in the night and climbs up into the top bunk with Taiden. He finds security in his older brother. Taiden is the protector on the way to and from school and looks out for Brittan. (except in the picture below - if you click to enlarge you'll see that Britt is drenched with water from the hose that Taiden is holding; Taiden thinks it's hilarious as clearly he is smiling and laughing, and Britt is trying to get some air)
An unbiased observation I've made? He is downright handsome!
I can't imagine my life without Taiden. He is a good son and an amazing person.
And Shaw couldn't ask for a better role model.


8 comments:
Mine really is an unbiased opinion and he is handsome and I loved reading your tribute. :)
I'm shocked! Taiden would spray an innocent little baby?!? That one makes my laugh.
He must've outgrown the rollin'-in-the-dirt phase, cuz I think he always looks well-groomed (& handsome) too!
Kyle was so sad not to be able to make it to your party, Taiden. Two of his favorite things happening at the same time - baseball and friends! He really wished that Saturday schedule could've worked out.
What a cute post, boys will be boys. They are totally hardwired to do boy stuff.
You put things in to words so well. He really is a good, handsome, thru and thru boy! I loved all of the pictures!
What a lovely tribute! I have experienced a similar learning curve as a mother of boys. I love them and am confused by them and sometimes frustrated by them - but I cannot imagine our family without Danny and Jacob. They round us out and teach me patience and remind me not to take life too seriously!
And you're not just a biased mother - Taiden is one handsome boy!
happy birthday...loved to post. what a mom you are to have raised such a son. and yes, i would agree, he is quite handsome...maybe we can line ry and him up when they are 30!
This post almost made me cry. I remember when he was that little. He has ALWAYS been a good boy. I think he just gets more and more handsome as he grow. He's going to break a lot of hearts because the girls are always going to want Taiden.
What a beautiful tribute to an awesome son! Boys really are so much fun!
Post a Comment