Sunday, December 7, 2008

Shaw-zam


Am I a bad mom because I don't want the natural progression of a human being to invade upon my 7 month bliss? Am I selfish because I don't want him to grow any teeth that will ruin his gummy grin and ability to gnaw on my chin? Is it awful that I, in a gentle and casual way, want to knock his wobbly knees out from under him as he is trying to get up on all fours (the precursor to crawling, remember)? I don't want him to gain another ounce or grow another .000001 of an inch. I want everyday, for at least the next 5 years or so, to be filled with slobbers and tickles and rolls of baby fat. I want all his hungry "hmmmm's", his babbles, his shy head tucks into my shoulder. I want his new found talent of clapping to continue to evoke applauds from his greatest fans - us. I want our baby bubble to stay strong and not burst.

Not yet.

But the human progression must march forward. Reluctantly, and with a lump in my throat, I present to you a few tricks of my little caboose.



Say "adios" to the Bumbo. He can flip himself out of it.




The car seat is just a slip-n-slide now.



The world has so much to offer when you can see it from this angle.



(No baby was harmed in the making of this video.)


Just a quick explanation. Shaw has a dad who thinks babies and young children find enjoyment out of being used as playthings. Toys, of the human sort, that can be tossed or flipped or spun around as the video clearly depicts. Jeff used to do similar antics on his youngest brother, Ryan. Once he attached surgical tubing (used by his mom for resistance training during the 80's aerobic craze) to Ryan, hung him over the banister, and proceeded to participate in one of the earliest forms of bungee jumping. Clever? Yes. Completely grown out of this type of entertainment? Obviously not.


7 comments:

Daina Crowell said...

Beautiful pictures Kristen! He is such a HANDSOME guy! Can't wait to kiss those cheeks! It must be the Gregson Gene, we also play the "spinning" game on our hardwood floors, though it's more fun with toddlers when you make them walk after :) Looking forward to seeing you all at Christmas!

Mitchell Family said...

I will not be showing that video to Jeremy, he'll get ideas in his head...can you imagine my two little guys would look like turn tables. such a cute post, and i'd like to second your request, this stage is so fun.

Aim said...

I know what you mean, they just don't stay babies long enough. Orson love the movie he has watched it twice and he want to see it again. I'm going to see if Cedric like the break dancing.

Unknown said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I can't wait for Christmas!!!

Suzanne said...

We thought it'd be a good idea to get a "Bumbo" at one point, but we never have, yet. I guess we won't now if it's of no use at 6-7 months old. WOW! I just saved me some money! :)

Rita said...

Cute little tricks. My mom used to get so uptight with my dad when he would use the babies as playthings but it sure looks cute when it's someone else's offspring!

Your baby will grow up, unfortunately. I was carrying Alec (all 39lbs and 39inches of him) into Target the other day when an old man remarked, "He's almost big enough to carry you!" I told him that he was my youngest and last kid and that I will be carrying him until he won't let me or my back gives out.

Amy and Brad said...

I love that you are fully enjoying/appreciating the baby years! I look back and wonder if I revelled in it enough. This growing up thing is all so bitter-sweet!