I first met Martin D. Ehman when I was 5 years old. He has proved to be one of my biggest cheerleaders and I am one of his greatest fans. Not many men would be willing to take on a new family with 3 young children after having already raised their own. But he was up for the challenge and we've been best friends ever since. In these 30+ years, he has never treated me like a stepdaughter. He has always loved, served, and embraced me as his own. To me, that is truly unique and extraordinary. The word "step" does not exist in our vocabulary. He is one of the most generous people I know. I am blessed to have 2 dads that love me. Lucky girl.
This past weekend, he celebrated his 75th birthday. My mom arranged for several surprise visits from family members. It started Friday night when the Mackintosh clan came down from Idaho for the birthday festivities. The next morning, Becky, who flew in from N. Carolina, showed up on the doorstep and gave dad's old "ticker" an endurance test. It was such a shock for him and he was ecstatic.
The celebrating ensued with a matinee performance of "The Christmas Carol" at Hale Centre Theater. It was fabulous and I highly recommend it to anyone who has the time during this busy month. We then went to Chuck-A-Rama which my kids think is Grandpa's favorite restaurant. Truth be told, my dad is a world traveler and has much better taste than that. But since the kids love Up-Chuck-A-Rama and my dad loves seeing them have the fun of filling their plates with whatever their little palates desire, he usually chooses to go there. Small sacrifices from a Grandpa's big heart.
The day and evening continued with our traditional dice game and a "moist chocolate cake" (inside family joke). Fun was had by all. Plenty of cousin time. Catching up on life's happenings. Snuggling and kissing little cheeks. 'Tis the season of loving one's family and counting our blessings.
Dad made it 75 years. Another 75 years is on the docket.
Everyone with their loot after the dice game. Grandma and Grandpa "cleaned house" during the game. However, as always, they generously spread the wealth with everyone and gave their prizes to the kids (and us adults who ended the game empty handed).
Additional comment: Shaw had a hard night last night - he thinks all the snugly love he gets during the day should continue through the night. I was talking to my dad this morning and told him how Jeff got the kids off to school so that I could catch up on some sleep. My dad isn't one to take such information and do nothing with it. He takes action. He showed up on my doorstep this afternoon with dinner for my family to enjoy tonight. He is amazing and thoughtful. Thanks Dad!
2 comments:
A beautiful post for your beautiful family. I'm assuming that the famous aunt is your sister...she looks just like a brunette you from that angle.
Happiest birthday to your hero :)
Beautiful tribute to your dad! He sounds like a wonderful man! It's no wonder you chose such a nice guy to marry when you had such nice dads raise you!
Post a Comment