Growing up, my mom would buy each of us an ornament that represented something about us for that year. When we married and started our own families, these ornaments came with us and hang on our trees today. I have a rocking horse to remind me of the time I broke my arm on a runaway horse in 8th grade. A sheet of cookies reflects the time when we took dozens of baked goodies to the homeless shelter and served dinner there. A piano hanging on my tree reminds me of enduring through 12 years of lessons. Some memories are more pleasant than others. :)
We have carried on this tradition with our kids. Each year, I pick up an ornament that represents them. It is one of their favorite things about Christmas. When we decorate the trees they love to find their own ornaments and reminisce about their meanings. I have stayed true to their personalities and stages throughout the years. Thus, you will find multiple Star Wars characters, a skateboarder catching air, a pocket knife, and an incredibly heinous Incredible Hulk that looks quite distorted and non-Christmas-ish. My trees will never have matching baubles and bows and sparkle like a show piece. Instead, it will adorn C-3PO's, Darth Vaders, Santas doing a myriad of crazy stunts, a Green Pickle, a variety of vehicles (including a decked out Mystery Machine!), diapered babies, and a mishmash of memories. The Festival of Trees won't be calling. That's all right.
Our memories for 2008:
Kennedy was one of the leads in her school's production of "School House Rock". She had the solo part in 4 songs. A microphone symbolizes her love of singing and all things musical.
Taiden is our resident snowboarder. This swooping action is what he plans on doing this year.
5 comments:
Love it, we've talked, I may be adopting the tradition!
My tree is kind of like yours the ornaments have memories. I think those kind of trees are way better.
I love Shaw's ornament - it is so stinkin' cute!
This is a fun tradition. I brought a dozen & a half or so ornaments to my marriage, too, since my mom gave us one every year on Christmas Eve. They ARE my favorite ones, to this day, and are packed in their own box & treated with special care (i.e. only I handle them!)
When do you give them to your kids? I'm assuming you've already done it since the photos show them on your tree?
What a wonderful tradition!! I love ornaments with stories behind them...and trees that aren't perfectly matched and themed, but rather reflect the personality of the family!
Awesome and so meaningful. I love it!
Post a Comment