This morning I woke with a harsh reality. I am now 37 and just 3 short hops, skips and a jump away from the big 4 - 0. As I tried to ignore the alarm this morning, Jeff rolled over and whispered in my ear, "Hey birthday girl. Now, is it 73 or 37 today?" (If I wasn't contemplating adding yet another sprig to our family tree, I would have quickly nailed him in his kibbles and bits. Oh, and the "contemplating" is me, not Jeff. He says we're too old.)
I tried to roll over and go back to sleep but to no avail. Kennedy came in and gave me the birthday gift she bought with her own money. She is loving her monetary independence. After our daily mom/daughter chitchat, I got up to make my bed. The boys rushed in, made me climb back into the partially straightened sheets, and gave me birthday cuddles and kisses. Taiden has assured me that you're not truly old until "you're like 50" so I still have a few more years. 13 to be exact.
The morning has been sedated with snow. I'm delighted because I love the white stuff and it means there is a greater chance of having a white Christmas in 9 fast-approaching days.
37. I realize that we truly are an established family now and I am one of THOSE housewives. That's not a bad thing but I am definitely a "Ma'am" and not a "Miss" anymore. When did this happen? Britt had a new friend come over to play last week and when this boy's mom came to pick him up, I felt like an old dud. This cute young thing-of-a-mom came to pick up her oldest child who was playing with my third child. I felt a great need for Botox and Lipo for a fleeting moment. Then I went in and snuggled my baby and felt rejuvenated. Still young enough for a baby. Incredible how calming it is to kiss a baby's little piggies.
The vanilla bottle will remain untouched today. I will face this day with a clear mind and spring in my step. Lunch with my friend, Patricia. Calls and emails from family and friends. Our annual trek to the Bombay House for my birthday dinner. Chicken Kurma can melt away all insecurities about aging.
37 isn't bad. I'm old enough to have made plenty of mistakes that have allowed me to be one of life's object lessons. I've proven to be a slow learner. But truthfully, I wouldn't want to be in my 20's again. Those were years of "smack down" trials and errors and I'm much more comfortable and confident where I am now. I think I'm finally getting this thing called life.
I tried to roll over and go back to sleep but to no avail. Kennedy came in and gave me the birthday gift she bought with her own money. She is loving her monetary independence. After our daily mom/daughter chitchat, I got up to make my bed. The boys rushed in, made me climb back into the partially straightened sheets, and gave me birthday cuddles and kisses. Taiden has assured me that you're not truly old until "you're like 50" so I still have a few more years. 13 to be exact.
The morning has been sedated with snow. I'm delighted because I love the white stuff and it means there is a greater chance of having a white Christmas in 9 fast-approaching days.
37. I realize that we truly are an established family now and I am one of THOSE housewives. That's not a bad thing but I am definitely a "Ma'am" and not a "Miss" anymore. When did this happen? Britt had a new friend come over to play last week and when this boy's mom came to pick him up, I felt like an old dud. This cute young thing-of-a-mom came to pick up her oldest child who was playing with my third child. I felt a great need for Botox and Lipo for a fleeting moment. Then I went in and snuggled my baby and felt rejuvenated. Still young enough for a baby. Incredible how calming it is to kiss a baby's little piggies.
The vanilla bottle will remain untouched today. I will face this day with a clear mind and spring in my step. Lunch with my friend, Patricia. Calls and emails from family and friends. Our annual trek to the Bombay House for my birthday dinner. Chicken Kurma can melt away all insecurities about aging.
37 isn't bad. I'm old enough to have made plenty of mistakes that have allowed me to be one of life's object lessons. I've proven to be a slow learner. But truthfully, I wouldn't want to be in my 20's again. Those were years of "smack down" trials and errors and I'm much more comfortable and confident where I am now. I think I'm finally getting this thing called life.
37 isn't old. I'm just well warmed up and have completed a couple of laps.
10 comments:
Happiest birthday. You're still in your *mid* thirties. Not old at all. And besides, you're getting better with age...kind of like vanilla beans soaking in vodka. You're a great example of one of 'those' housewives--totally gorgeous and poised with just enough wrinkles to make what you say sound wise ;)
Happy Birthday! Hopefully we'll get to see you while we're in Utah!
Well written - love those birthday thoughts! I hope you have a fantastic day and a fantastic year.
Happy Birthday!!! Age doesn't mean anything anymore. No big. You're awesome!!
Happy Birthday! Yum the Bombay house, I hope that it was a wonderful dinner!
Happy Birthday from someone who's OLDER than you! Just remember...if you say you're old, what's that saying about me? :)
I know what you mean, though, about seeing/being around those "cute young thing-of-a-moms!"
I don't know of the Bombay house - what kind of food? Where is it?
P.S. Keep working on Jeff regarding the "another sprig in the family tree" bit...the more "crazies" I can keep company with, the better! :)
happy birthday old woman. from a miss who is 10 years your younger, I hope i'm just like you when i grow up. :) are your cringing!? hope all was great for you yesterday!
Happy late Birthday! I hope it was fabulous!! And you are sooo not old! I think you are one of the funnest and most adorable "housewives" I know! I hope to be just like you someday. You are such a great lady! Happy Birthday my friend! Oh, and that is so exciting about Colleen's little one! Give him a little squeeze for me when you see him. Love ya!
Nicely put! Especially since I just celebrated mine and am one up on you! It has been fun keeping up with you and the family! It has been so long since we have all been together. Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment