My all-time faves are East of Eden (Steinbeck) and Pride and Prejudice (Austen). So good I like to re-read them now and then.
Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns yet? I loved that one. It's by Hosseini - the same guy who wrote Kite Runner (which I didn't like quite as much)
You should join www.goodreads.com You list all the books you've read and rate them and then you can also see which books your friends who are on goodreads like the best, too. I check it out often when I'm trying to find a new book to read.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Really amazing! You'll love it. There's probably a waiting list at the library, but it is well worth buying! Also, Goose Girl by Shannon Hale or Austinland also by Shannon Hale.
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
All are very good and I really liked them, but make sure you start with The Hunger Games! It really is great!
Not to butt in and be a regular commenter now, but I'd have to second the Shannon Hale recommendations. Austenland is hilarious, a light romantic read. Princess Academy is my favorite of hers. She happens to be my cousin so I'm probably biased, but I love all of her books.
Other youth fictions I like: Homecoming and Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt, and The Giver/Gathering Blue/Messenger by Lois Lowry.
Just read (and watched the movie) Marley and Me by John Grogan. Bawled my eyes out and I'm NOT a dog person. Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani, The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis (LOVE this one), and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith were some fave book club selections.
Right now I am reading Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. I am really liking it. Whitney brought it home from school and I started reading it and couldn't put it down. Also, Eat Cake is wonderful. We read it for our book club and now can't stop recommending it. Very funny and good! I also liked The Watermark by Travis Thrasher. A nice spiritual read but not preachy. Have fun.
Betsy Brannon Green's books are the only thing I've read the last couple of years. They're easy & light, but not too addicting (at least for me) which is what I need.
But, I'm probably not a good book recommender since I don't read enough - I have to keep renewing books at the library because I'm not done by the due date! Yep, it takes me > a month to read a book - sometimes I don't touch it in weeks!
I'm reading Sarah's Key (Tatiana de Rosnay) right now and it's AMAZING!! Jane recommended it and she reads a ton of books. Every one she recommends is really good. Also, My Sisters Keeper (Jodi Picoult). It's coming out as a movie June 26th.
Oh....and the vanilla is absolutely AWESOME! Thank you so much!
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming please! I am always looking for a good read.
I placed 3 books (from your suggestions) on hold today. They must be good because I have to wait my turn! :D I would have put them all on hold but I still have a household to run, children to feed, husband to take care of, etc...
THANKS AGAIN!
Cynthia, you're always welcome to leave a comment.
I heartily second Melissa's endorsement for Life of Pi. Beautiful prose and an intriguing tale.
If you like young adult, The Chosen (Chaim Potok)is as good as it gets. I mean really incredible.
And I feel like I'm beating a dead horse with this one, for it's always my number one recommendation, but I'll go on anyhow: Atlas Shrugged. And the Fountainhead. By Ayn Rand. If you want depth, you'll get it there. Unique depth. My favorites.
Also, the book Wasted is another favorite. Marya Hornbacher. It's shocking, emotional, educational, frightening and completely true. She's an awesome writer and strings you along with the skill of a flirt.
Here is a list: The Time Traveller's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger The Glass Castle, Jeannett Walls Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden Peace Like a River, Leif Enger The Twentieth Wife, Indu Sundaresan The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett Also, I have all of the Shannon Hale books, several Chiam Potok, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Fountain Head, The Kite Runner and the Lois Lowry books along with the above list if you don't want to wait for the library. Also, I know you have the Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society but I thought I would mention it because it's a great book! Ha! I'm a poster!
In a nutshell, I'm a mother of 4 incredible kids and a wife to a fantastic guy. Being a parent is one of the toughest, yet most rewarding jobs around. I'm lucky that I can be home full time to raise my kids and spend this short season of our lives together. I feel my greatest talents are being creative and serving others with that creativity, being organized, a good cook, and efficient "household manager". I like to think that I'm dependable and a good friend. I wish I was more patient and laid back but that is slowly coming with time. My favorite thing to do is travel. I'd be fine living out of a suitcase if I could see the world with my family.
10 comments:
My all-time faves are East of Eden (Steinbeck) and Pride and Prejudice (Austen). So good I like to re-read them now and then.
Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns yet? I loved that one. It's by Hosseini - the same guy who wrote Kite Runner (which I didn't like quite as much)
You should join www.goodreads.com You list all the books you've read and rate them and then you can also see which books your friends who are on goodreads like the best, too. I check it out often when I'm trying to find a new book to read.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Really amazing! You'll love it. There's probably a waiting list at the library, but it is well worth buying!
Also, Goose Girl by Shannon Hale or Austinland also by Shannon Hale.
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn.
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
All are very good and I really liked them, but make sure you start with The Hunger Games! It really is great!
Not to butt in and be a regular commenter now, but I'd have to second the Shannon Hale recommendations. Austenland is hilarious, a light romantic read. Princess Academy is my favorite of hers. She happens to be my cousin so I'm probably biased, but I love all of her books.
Other youth fictions I like: Homecoming and Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt, and The Giver/Gathering Blue/Messenger by Lois Lowry.
Just read (and watched the movie) Marley and Me by John Grogan. Bawled my eyes out and I'm NOT a dog person. Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani, The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis (LOVE this one), and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith were some fave book club selections.
Right now I am reading Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. I am really liking it. Whitney brought it home from school and I started reading it and couldn't put it down.
Also, Eat Cake is wonderful. We read it for our book club and now can't stop recommending it. Very funny and good!
I also liked The Watermark by Travis Thrasher. A nice spiritual read but not preachy.
Have fun.
Betsy Brannon Green's books are the only thing I've read the last couple of years. They're easy & light, but not too addicting (at least for me) which is what I need.
But, I'm probably not a good book recommender since I don't read enough - I have to keep renewing books at the library because I'm not done by the due date! Yep, it takes me > a month to read a book - sometimes I don't touch it in weeks!
I'm reading Sarah's Key (Tatiana de Rosnay) right now and it's AMAZING!! Jane recommended it and she reads a ton of books. Every one she recommends is really good. Also, My Sisters Keeper (Jodi Picoult). It's coming out as a movie June 26th.
Oh....and the vanilla is absolutely AWESOME! Thank you so much!
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming please! I am always looking for a good read.
I placed 3 books (from your suggestions) on hold today. They must be good because I have to wait my turn! :D I would have put them all on hold but I still have a household to run, children to feed, husband to take care of, etc...
THANKS AGAIN!
Cynthia, you're always welcome to leave a comment.
I heartily second Melissa's endorsement for Life of Pi. Beautiful prose and an intriguing tale.
If you like young adult, The Chosen (Chaim Potok)is as good as it gets. I mean really incredible.
And I feel like I'm beating a dead horse with this one, for it's always my number one recommendation, but I'll go on anyhow: Atlas Shrugged. And the Fountainhead. By Ayn Rand. If you want depth, you'll get it there. Unique depth. My favorites.
Also, the book Wasted is another favorite. Marya Hornbacher. It's shocking, emotional, educational, frightening and completely true. She's an awesome writer and strings you along with the skill of a flirt.
Here is a list:
The Time Traveller's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
The Glass Castle, Jeannett Walls
Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden
Peace Like a River, Leif Enger
The Twentieth Wife, Indu Sundaresan
The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett
Also, I have all of the Shannon Hale books, several Chiam Potok, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Fountain Head, The Kite Runner and the Lois Lowry books along with the above list if you don't want to wait for the library.
Also, I know you have the Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society but I thought I would mention it because it's a great book!
Ha! I'm a poster!
Peace like a river is a great book. I agree
Post a Comment