Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sober Stupidity

A drinker of alcohol I am not.  But that fact does not guarantee that I will not make stupid mistakes.  Stupid mistakes that I will look back upon and say, "What the heck was I thinking?"




Case in point:

{click here to see the gory details)


I agreed a year ago to run this race with a "friend".  (Yes, Randee, friend is in quotation marks. Friends take friends to dinner and a movie.  Not up to the mountains to run and pass out and be left for dead.)  I don't know if I thought the world would come to an end before the race dates actually approached, but now that we are a month away I'm feeling my fight or flight defense kick in.

1 month to go.  I've trained faithfully.  I've eaten healthy.  I've been drinking my water and putting on my game face.  I have done my part in preparing for my tasks ahead.

But I'm scared.

Not scared of the running.  I've been doing that.  I've been running the miles and feeling stronger each day.  I've even experienced that mysterious runner's high.

But I'm scared of 3 things:

1)  the heat - last year, June was miserably hot; I don't do well in heat and my first (of 3) leg is around 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon

2) no sleep - call me crazy, but I like my sleep; my 2nd leg starts around midnight

3)  pooping my pants - heard it happens; mercy...

I can't do anything about the first 2 fears.  It is what it is.  Perhaps one of Shaw's diapers could help me with the third.

Sober stupidity.  Gotta love it.


12 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds kinda of fun! What motivation to get in shape! I've been looking for some of that motivation, but haven't been able to find any lately. They are running the same relay near me in February. Maybe it's something I should think about! I'll see how it goes for you first. Good for you!

Suzanne said...

Ah, yes, The Runner's trots - A very valid fear indeed!!
The remedy to fear #3 is Anti-diarrheal medicine. I admit to using the drug during the training & running of my marathon!
I'm sure there's lots of foliage along the course to use as both a hiding place to "take care of business" and to wipe it up! :)

Leslie said...

You are going to LOVE it! Or at least, I hope you will! I can't wait for summer to get here, so I can get back into my running routine. You go, girl!! Run on!!

Lori said...

You can do it! But I completely understand. This is how I am feeling about Little Red! You are strong and will do great!

Hay Dub said...

I think it is totally awesome you are doing this! I want to run it next year, so so so so bad. Good luck, I want to hear all about it!!

Mitchell Family said...

dear kristen,

your being a wee bit dramatic, don't you think. Remember all those lessons you taught the yw...i didn't force you, you had a choice and you had plenty of opportunity to duck out. (plus remember how sad you were when we almost didn't run? dramatic!)...and i seem to remember taking you to plenty of dinners, to see mickey and have recently offered a bit of pear-eee break. so, as far as the "friend" thing is concidered, I totally get a pass on that one.

as to your fears. 1 and 2 are understood. i have them too. number 3...mmm check into that diarrheal medicine SUZANNE is mentioning. I have to say, number 3 just isn't an option for me. i'll rupture my colon before i allow it to happen!

best, the "friend"

Kristen said...

Ms. Mitchell,

I never, ever deal in dramatics! Pleeeeease! Just ask Jeff! As if...

Whatever!

Aim said...

I totally wish that I was in good enough shape to do something like that run. Most members of my family have run marathons or done long long bike races and I didn't get into the biking and running thing. But now I wish that I did maybe I wouldn't be in such bad shape after having 4 kids but I am and maybe some day I will run at least a 5k. As for #3 that just does not sound very nice. Good luck you will do great! At least running at midnight it won't be too hot.

Patricia said...

Cramping, chaffing, blisters...crying, much more likely to happen than the trots!
It'll be FUN! That's why you are doing it right?!

LordStanley said...

I'm not sure what to say ...
you are all CRAZY!!!
Okay, that wasn't as hard as I thought that it would be.
Ragnar Relay?
Marathons?
on purpose?
why ... why ... why?

Rita said...

#1 Water...take lots of it. Drink a little. Dump A LOT on your head.

#2 No good solution. You will definitely be w/o sleep, girlie so catch a quiet wink where and when you can.

#3 Double dose of Pepto Bismal. I prefer the tablets that you don't have to chew. Been there and AVOIDED doing that so there you go :P

I know you're going to love it and be the life of the party. I can't wait to hear all about your success.

L said...

I am so jealous!!! Good for you. Someday I will run in this. For now, I shall swim. GOOD LUCK!