Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Seeds


Sniffle.  Sneeze.  Sneeze.  Sneeze. Sneeze.  Sniffle.







I'b got allewgies.

Spring will do that to me.  Workin' outside gets 'em going good.

But seeds must be planted in spring for summer's benefit.


I can't have a bland summer, can I?

Another favorite flower - zinnias.  Bold, vibrant, old fashioned, and a lover of the hot, hot sun that hits my west facing house.

These are show stoppers and conversation starters.  They are truly beautiful.

 
{While I boosted the picture's color to show the intensity of zinnia's gorgeous colors, it turned my house blue.  Nope, I don't have a blue house.  My house is gray with white trim and cranberry colored shutters, thank you.}

I have planted zinnias in front of my porch for years.  A good friend of mine planted these zinnias (pictured above) for me last spring.  In the past, I have always planted them using starts.  While I was in the hospital with Shaw's birth, she planted zinnia seeds without me knowing.  I will admit I was a bit skeptical.  I've always used starts with my flowers.  Seeds have only been used in the garden.  But, sure enough, these giant and dwarf varieties grew into the bold statements they were meant to be.  Thanks, Patricia!  My fingers are crossed that the seeds I planted today will have equal success.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Beautiful. I think I'll try those for my pots this year.

Aim said...

I really should get some pots for flowers on our front porch. We don't have any green thumbs at our house, but maybe we could handle some pots. I hope your seeds work!

Lori said...

Every year I say I am going to plant something in my flower boxes out front, and every year I don't because I don't know what to plant. Any ideas?

Leslie said...

Beautiful!! I love my zinnias, too. The great thing being in Texas is that they come back each year without replanting!