Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Minimalist Husband

The other night Jeff was observing our well worn and tattered couch set.  We've had it for over 13 years and it has survived 3.33 toddlers.  It has weathered spills and drips and filthy summer feet. It was been a bed for the sick and afflicted and a front row seat for our Gregson family movie nights.


It's also been a place where fannies of all shapes and sizes have come to sit and visit.  Perhaps your own fanny has rested itself on our sturdy Broyhill.  

I've been loudly hinting for quite sometime that our couch and it's buddy (the "chair and a half") have seen better days and that, perhaps, a replacement might be in order.  Jeff keeps putting me off.  "Just buy a slip cover," he states knowing that I'll never do it.  I've never met a slip cover that I like.  I don't trust 'em.  They'll wrinkle and sag and do exactly what their name states...slip!   

So, when Jeff was noticing the frayed edges and the lack of fabric piping on the front of the cushions (that was cut out and discarded months ago...it had poked through and was stabbing unsuspecting deriers) I thought, Finally!  He's seen the light and will agree that we are long overdue for some new furniture!  Oh, happy Spring day!  

But true to form, Jeff rubbed the worn out fibers of the cushion, looked at me and said, "Now THAT is awesome!  Not many people can say they have completely worn through their couch cushions!"  Not quite the reaction I was looking for.  

This is my minimalist husband.  He is completely disgusted with our nation's gluttonous overindulgence.  He's all about using it up, making it do, buying it cheaper, and making it last. He'd love to be completely self-sufficient and live off the land.  He's not impressed by homes with 5 car garages.  He doesn't buy into big toys and lavish lifestyles.  He's simple and uncomplicated - do with what you've got and be grateful that you've got it. 

He's disappointed that I don't sew.  

But I'm disappointed that he can't build me a house.

So, we're even. 

It wasn't until our old iMac was completely out of memory (we couldn't save a blasted thing nor print anything) that he agreed that we should get a new one. He proudly boasted that we had used up every last byte of memory in our 9+ year old computer.  

I also have a vacuum that is almost 16 years old - an original wedding gift.  It weighs 127 lbs. but it still cleans up the floor so it's still around.  My chiropractor is happy that I use it.

Use it up, make it do, buy it cheaper, make it last.
  
Never a truer statement was writ:  Opposites attract

10 comments:

Lori said...

Love it! I am very much the same way. I have painted my kitchen table 3 times just to get more use out of it. It started as my parents table and mine when I was little. I've had to glue the chairs more than once but they are still hanging in there.
Go Jeff! I am on your side.
I made 4 Easter skirts for my girls and me for less than $20. It made me happy.

Trent and Britni said...

That makes me laugh! I am definitely one to use things until they are done, but Jeff it is time! You have my support Kristen!! =)

Rita said...

You are so witty and, I think, the best sport ever.

I will admit that I wondered if Brent had been living a double life in Farmington while reading your description of Jeff. Please remind YOUR hubby that he is lucky not to be married to an opposite-from-him REDHEAD. The pain in his neck, back, or other body/brain parts would not be from the solid vacuum cleaner!

Nellie Jane said...

This is one reason why we LOVE you guys! Mike thinks the same way--not impressed with the consumerism that is eating it's way through the states...Glad he's keeping you on the right track! :) Although I would either suggest a new couch soon, or a sewing class! :)

Love reading your blog Kristen. You are awesome.

Aim said...

We are the same way, use it up until it can't be used any more. Plus most of our furniture is bought used and we call it "Vintage" or it is a hand me down. I look at it in a way that we have saved a lot of money the 11 years of being married.

Ann Gregson said...

As his Aunt Lori would say "Shades of Green River" He's a decendant of my grandmother who brushed her left over french fries off the table at McDonalds into her purse to save for later. My dad was raised in Green River, UT. He's just the same - drove my mother nuts.

Kristen said...

Ann,

The day Jeff starts storing food in his pockets is the day we seek professional help. I've gotta draw the line somewhere!

matt and suz said...

My first thought is...HOW have you managed to keep your computers & vacuums running so long? You must be so gentle & TAME at your house!!We've had TWO computers literally just CRASH & DIE (losing valuable info once - sniffle!) I guess we have a knack for running them into the ground. We're on our 3rd in 10 1/2 years! I hate having to buy new ones! When our "wedding vacuum" broke, we took it to a vacuum repair shop, but then we didn't get right back in to pick it up, and then we felt too embarrassed to go get it after we'd left it so long, so we bought a new vacuum. (The old one's been at the shop for the past 7+ years now!)
Seems like everyone is one way or the other - and it may have to do with upbringing/genes like Ann mentioned. I know myself and my siblings (except for maybe 1) really watch what we buy. This year we got our biggest tax return ever and we need to replace our 13 1/2 year old couches, too, but the kids are the ones who mostly use the basement - and they'll just thrash them, so do we really want to bother? Do you think we should buy a new kitchen table seems as the one we have is a 4-seater and we have a Fam of 7 now? We're just cramming more chairs around, using 3 different styles of chairs, in fact (one being a folding chair from our card table set!) I guess we should so we're not horrified to have guests over?! We'll see...Heck, we still have $1,300 for LAST YEAR'S tax return unused since I can't ever use ALL the money - wonder if I need it someday? :)

Kristen said...

Yes, Suzanne, there are definitely genes involved here. I come from spenders so I can't REALLY help it, right?
And you still have tax money left from LAST year? Holy cow! You're good! Maybe you could let me borrow some so I can participate in some retail therapy. :D

Amy and Brad said...

Could it be a Cardston thing, perhaps? Brad is the EXACT same way!