Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Mother's Ultimatum to Her Infant Son


Dear Shaw,


We need to talk.  I hate to do this but I have no choice.

Honey, if you clamp down on me one more time, we are done.  I'm gonna have to cut you off. 

Those 3 little pearly buds are like shards of glass.  They're cuter than cute when you generously flash them with enthusiasm.  However, they don't feel cute.

I hate to sound ungrateful, Shaw.  You and I have had a good working relationship.  I've done my part and you have, usually frantically, done your part.  Very efficiently, I might add.  It's been a blessing to serve you in this way.  I've loved every moment.  Even in the early hours of the morning.  It's just been you and me.  I have tried to secure these personal moments in the archives of my mind. I have loved it.

Maybe it's Mother Nature's way of telling us that it is time to part.  Oh, how bittersweet that will be.

You aren't trying to be mean.  You just can't smile and talk and eat at the same time.  That's the lethal combination.

So, please son, let's make these last few waning weaning weeks pleasant for both of us.  Please.

If not, then it's off to Enfamil land for you.   

Love,

Mommy :)

8 comments:

Aim said...

Oh I totally get the teeth, Cedric is going on 8 teeth. He is usually pretty good but every once in a while he gets a gleam in his eye and chomps down. He is a year and is getting weaned soon, I just have to figure out how to get him to like milk and go to sleep.

Lori said...

Even with out teeth the chomp is painful.
Good luck.

Mitchell Family said...

so funny! never been there as Enfamil has traditionally been our milk of choice around these parts, but i can imagine, and i'm not thinking positive thoughts! (i've tried to call you a couple of times this week but it's been busy...when you get a chance give me a call...i'm sure it's all the campaigning!)

Suzanne said...

An ultimatum sounds good about now seems as I've got a breast infection! Except that I get all sappy about this being my last nursing baby & I can't bear to stop...even though I thought that about my previous "last baby" (Katelyn), too, so we continued on for 17 months - and that's only because the FAM was going on an "adults only" vacation & I was forced into it!!

Trent and Britni said...

Shaw be a dear and be sweet to your mama these last few weeks!! Cam had teeth as soon as 5 months old and four at a time... so I'm with ya! Good luck on that journey!! =)

Amy and Brad said...

Oh, that's ALWAYS my cue to be done! Not much that's as painful!

Rita said...

I think I had a few empathy pangs reading this post. O-U-C-H. It's a miserable business!

Unknown said...

Sounds like its time to get out the water spray bottle!! Aversive therapy!! Have it near by, every time he bites, he gets a spray in face!!! It worked for our dog!! And since toddlers and dogs have some commonalities . . . ya never know! Although, he may NOT find water in the face aversive. Maybe you good try blowing a whistle loudly every time he does it. Although, then you'll have to explain to him when he's an adult why he still breaks out into tears and starts to shake every time he goes to a basketball game. Hmmm, maybe your rational talking approach and cutting him off, will work so you don't have to go down that road!!!