Sunday, March 8, 2009

Creature of Habit

Is it just me?  Am I the only one?  

Anyone out there in the territory called Utah having troubles dialing the phone lately?

Do I have problems with my short term memory processor?  Am I gumped?

As of the first of March, we now have to dial 801 before we dial any local phone number.  Even if it's to our neighbor.  Or our husband's cell phone.  Or our homemade vanilla vodka supplier (who might live kitty corner to us).  ANY call we make.  Apparently Utah is bustin' at the seams and there are no numbers left.  Dang population explosion!

This might seem like a trivial thing, but I have yet to remember to add the required area code on my own. Ever single time I've dialed the phone for the past week, I have to wait for the prompt from the pleasant automated lady to remind me.  I cain't remember!  I just cain't!  

I had to make a couple dozen phone calls for my church calling this afternoon.  I don't think I remembered to dial the area code on a single one.  Not one.  I probably shouldn't be cursin' while makin' calls for my church assignment but I was.  It doesn't help that I have to dial *82 to unblock our phone number.  Then dial the area code.  Then dial the phone number.  A lot to process for a simple girl like myself.

So I ask, is anyone out there experiencing the same dilemma?  How many times will I have to redial before it sticks?

5 comments:

Rita said...

Happily (?) I have had to dial 9-801 at work forever and I've programmed all the numbers in my cell as 801 so I've been mostly good. Yours is not the first grumble I've heard though. I answered the phone in the school office the other day and took a message for the principal. I could sense the older caller rolling his eyes as he gave me his phone number..."I guess you'd better put 801 before that."

Lori said...

Oh I understand. Jason's office is just out the back door and I hate the new 801 thing. It used to be easy to quickly get him. Not now!

Aim said...

Every call I make, I forget that I have to dial 801 first. It is driving me nuts!

Suzanne said...

I haven't been dialing 801 and I haven't been getting the Operator, either. Wait a minute, have I not used my home phone since March 1st? That can't be right. But we have Vonage - I wonder if that has something to do with it? I don't think Vonage makes you do it! :)

Leslie said...

Out here in good 'ole Texas, we have had to dial the area code for as long as I can remember. It is definitely a pain though! You will get use to it, and then you will travel somewhere where you don't have to and then it will throw you all over again. Good luck!