Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lows and Highs

Ugh!  I am now going on day 11 of being sick.  And I mean sick.  Congestion, achy bones, cough, irritability to the core.  I am on my 3rd box of Kleenex tissues and nth roll of T.P. trying to get some air in through my sinuses.  I am sick of being sick.


Kennedy pointed out today that I haven't updated my gratitude list in quite some time.  That's because I have had a crappy attitude lately while my body is retaliating against whatever flu bug is attacking me.  I've been glum.  I've been cabin fevered.  I've been anything but angelic to those within close proximity.  I guess I haven't been grateful as of late and have been having a major pity party.  What a big baby am I.

So, I thought I would try and muster up some positive reflecting so that the past week and a half has some worth.  Something of more value than simply giving me a raw tender nose and a mentally cloudy forecast.

Low:  I have the flu, Jeff has had ear infections in both ears, Britt has had a cough for 2 weeks, Shaw has had his second round of croup and an ear infection, Taiden has complained of a sore throat.

High:  Kennedy is not sick.  The rest of us will recover and live.  

Low:  Britt's persistent cough and red, red eyes.

High:  Britt told Jeff, "Dad, I think I need one of those prayers".  We knew to interpret this as a Priesthood blessing.  I am grateful I have a son who will ask and a husband who is worthy.

Low:  I have not been able to do any training for the race I will run in June.

High:  I went ahead and bought a pair of running shoes.  I've been visualizing successfully completing my legs of the relay race.  Without puking or passing out.

Low:   I have spent the majority of my time on the couch with juice at my side, Kleenex littering my surroundings and getting very sick of daytime TV.

High:  I have had to force myself outside for a daily walk to hold my place as a contender in the Gregson family Working Our Masses Off competition.  The sunshine has done me good and fresh air always provides a perk me up

Low:  Trying to cook.

High:  My mom-in-law brought us dinner Friday night.  My parents brought us homemade bran muffins and a ton of fresh fruit.  My dad can sure make a pretty fruit display.  

Low:  I can't taste a thing!  Not anything!  When my sinuses get congested like this it must put pressure on my olfactory bulb (for smell) and I can't taste a cotton pickin' thing.  The kids love to try and find something I can taste.  Peanut butter?  Nope.  Medicine?  Nada. Horseradish straight from the jar?  Negatory.  

High:  I've lost another 2 lbs.  5.5 lbs. lost since Feb. 1.  It's no fun to consume calories when everything tastes like, um, nothing.

Low:  I've been telling Jeff I need to go somewhere.  Anywhere.  Then I did a post on Tuesday about my testimony of Disneyland.  The self pity party came into full swing by then.  Although I was the only one to attend and had to act as host, guest, and designated driver.

High:  Out of the blue, my soul sister, equally fanatical Disney freak, and spunky friend called me on Friday to invite me on a Girls' Weekend Getaway in April.  To Disneyland, people!  No kids.  Ladies only.  No husbands.  Solely females.  She and her sisters and mom are adopting me for the weekend and including me in their fun.  Needless to say, I can't wait!  


10 comments:

Mitchell Family said...

whooooohoooo, for the disney part. get better, we've got some serious training to do...we're going to be skipping through disney in just a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!! OH and that Ragnar thing too.

LOW AND BEHOLD! said...

I just love your blog. I was on Leslie's and noticed you asked about camera's. I've got a Canon Powershot. It's small, so I carry it around in my purse and it takes GREAT indoor and outdoor pictures. I absolutely love it... Obviously, if I feel so strongly to comment to you about something you didn't even ask me. Ha ha...

Aim said...

Oh I hate being sick! I hope you get better soon, 11 days is way too long to be sick. Lucky, you get to go to Disney land! My Brother-in-law is doing the Ragnar race, my sister was going to be doing it too. But she is out now, due to a very unexpected pregnancy that she found out about last week.

Aim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aim said...

Sorry for some strange reason the same comment came up twice, so I deleted one of them.

Trent and Britni said...

Happy Day for your Disneyland trip! I would have to say that hopefully that will be worth your crazy bug that you've had. Get feeling better!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I'm sorry you are still sick - that's the pits! At least you are still getting out and walking - good for you!

I agree about getting out in the sun! I had a horrible cough and as soon as I was in the sun for a few days - it went away.

XOXOXO
Jen

Suzanne said...

Referencing this week's (er, uh, a few weeks ago) Gratitude list...what was the new, amazing restaurant you found?
I always like to know about the good ones.
We discovered Sego Lily Cafe in Bntfl. and we liked it very much!

Amy and Brad said...

Way to be positive, Kristen! Being sick as a mom is even worse than being sick earlier in life (in my opinion) because moms don't really get to 'clock out' and take a real sick day! Hang in there!

Rita said...

I'm soooo sorry that you are feeling lousy. That's a pretty good thankful list for such a rotten few weeks. I hope you are on the mend.