Yesterday, Jeff made cookies. Not a typical behavior for that husband of mine, but he was itching for something sweet. On lazy Sabbath afternoons, our sweet teeth usually make a house call. And it would be rude to shut the door on them, I imagine.
Jeff had one thing on his mind. He made a beeline to the cupboard containing a lonely box of dates. Dates that had been bought back in December but that never got used during our marathon baking weekend. Sadly, they have sat silently next to the jello and pudding boxes waiting for someone to take notice. Jeff did notice and to him dates are meant for one thing and one thing only.
His Grandma's Oatmeal Date Filled Cookies.
As he creamed and mixed, mashed and stirred, the ingredients came together as they should. He rolled out the dough, cut out circles, and baked them to near perfection - next time he says they'll be slightly thinner. The filling was dark and rich - just as it should be. He was proud of his efforts. He was pleased that his cookies were near replicas of what he remembered from his childhood. But during that time spent in the kitchen one thing happened that he didn't anticipate.
It made him miss his grandma.
Grandma with Brittan - Summer 2002
Recipes have incredible powers to round up memories.
A lovely friend once gave to me
A most delightful recipe.
Each time its used, I feel I spend
A precious moment with my friend.
Each and every time I use a recipe someone gives me, I think of them. It's a brief, fleeting, almost subconscious recognition, but it is there nonetheless. Every time I make seasoned tacos I think of my sister-in-law, Carene. When I make Turkey Tortilla Soup I think of a cousin's wife, Leslie. When I make Pres. Nixon's chicken, I think of Chris - a friend. Buttermilk Ranch from Sandi. Banana Chocolate Chip cookies from my mom and grandma. Mustard Ring from Ann. Fresh Salsa from a sister-in-law, Jen (I miss you). BBQ Spare Ribs from Aunt Wanda. These recipes are synonymous with these people. I can't help but have their images flicker through my mind as I mix the ingredients to their culinary gems. It's quick and momentary, but it's very much there.
Wonderful recipes.
Wonderful people.
6 comments:
Recipes really are good for that, My sister compiled a book of family recipes for us when we got married. I love to use that book, because it makes me think of my family.
Who'd of thought that the Buttermilk Ranch was the one that reminded you of me. I would have said the fudge or the licorice caramels. See..........sugar isn't your weakness! Love you!
I want those recipes!!
I do the same thing when making recipes. And I've got a couple of YOURS now, so you can get thought of at our home from time to time! ;)
But, are date cookies really any good? Sorry, but hearing about it didn't do anything for me!
Grandma's Date Cookies are our favorite!! We made some over Christmas, but maybe it is time to make some more!! :)
This post made me smile as I had just made homemade maple syrup on Saturday and had a memory moment of you. As I got caught up on your blog and read this post today I was in complete agreement. Nice to have small reminders of loved ones :-)
Post a Comment