Let's discuss veggies today.
Specifically, Brussels sprouts and butternut squash.
I hate to admit it but neither have ever been cherished and beloved in my book. The thought of Brussels sprouts evoked images of bitter nuggets of retching leafiness that somehow always reminded me of miniature brains. Yes, they look like brains to me. Growing up, my mom would cook them for Sunday dinner and my brother and I renamed them so that we didn't even have to utter their 3 syllable names. Instead, we called them strawberries. Strawberries took us to happier times - summer and cream and a light sprinkling of sugar. Visual imagery to help ease our pained palates.
(My mom also used to serve us liver. But I won't discuss that at this time. It's taken a lot of years to suppress those memories. Even now, as I type the word liver, my eye is starting to twitch.)
And butternut squash? Stringy orange mush slopped on a plate that not even a thick pat of butter could nurse back to flavor. Dare I use the H word to describe the history of feelings towards these two?
Hate.
But as a mom, I've tried to be the adult in the kitchen. Moms should cook their families a variety of vegetables and serve them with a cheery whistle. A good mom winks at her kids as she dishes up a hearty helping of vitamins A, C, and E for herself. A noble mom resists the urge to gag as she places the guts of a gourd into her mouth. Smiling and reluctantly swallowing without the tell tell signs of wanting to plug her nose.
I've played the charade. I've fed them their recommended daily dose of bright colored fruits and vegetables. I've even put up with their complaints and silently agreed with them in my mind.
But no more.
Today I will share 2 recipes with you. One will contain Brussels sprouts. The other will contain butternut squash. BOTH are delicious and semi-gourmet without the effort and hassle of actually being gourmet. BOTH are packed with flavor. BOTH are my new favorite things to eat.
Who'da thunk?
Me and Brussels sprouts and butternut squash. Friends at long last.
TASTY BRUSSELS SPROUTS (as in, NOT bitter):
Brussels sprouts
butter
1/2 c. white cooking wine
1/2 c. chicken broth
salt and pepper
Wash Brussels sprouts, cut off stem and cut in half. Saute - flat side down - in a small amount of butter until light brown in color. Pour on white wine and chicken broth, cover with lid, and cook until liquid is absorbed. Serve with salt and pepper.
If cooked with this method, these will not be bitter at all. These are so good - my kids love them and even take second helpings!
***
Butternut Squash Ravioli:
This recipe actually cheats a bit because the squash is in a store bought ravioli but it is decadently good. Tastes like savory candy, to be honest. The glaze is my own creation - a spin off of a dish I ate months ago at a restaurant. Don't be scared to try this. Your taste buds will thank me later. My kids also LOVE this. Fancy enough for guests and friendly enough for kids.
butternut squash ravioli (Monterey Pasta Company at Costco*)
1/2 cube butter (or more)
few shakes of balsamic vinegar
Cook ravioli according to package directions. In a saute pan, melt butter and keep it on heat until it is browned. Add a few shakes of balsamic vinegar and cook until slightly reduced and thickened. Pour over ravioli and serve with a sincere smile.
(*I noticed this ravioli for the first time at Costco last week. If you decide to make this recipe and Costco is sold out, it's probably because I went and bought up their entire stock. It is THAT good.)
4 comments:
To this day I've never had brussels sprouts. My mom doesn't like veggies, so we ate peas, corn and potatoes. That's about it! I'd never had broccoli or asparagus until Sandi made it for me. I really like them and cook them for my own family. Maybe I'll have to give the brussels sprouts a try. Maybe.
Butternut Squash is one of my favorites!!! I have a yummy roasted butternut squash soup recipe (it's an Italian recipe so of course it's good!!!). We've eaten the butternut squash ravioli you've mentioned. It is good. The mushroom ravoili by the same company (they sell it at our Costco too)is really yummy too, maybe even better! mmmmmm.....veggies.
I will have to try these!! BUT, I was not against these veggies [like yourself] to begin with! During the Fall & Winter, Costco has a tub of butternut squash in their refrigerated produce room already chunked and ready to prepare! It's the cutting, peeling, de-seeding process that has usually kept me away from it, not the taste, but Costco solves that nuisance for us!
Is this post [& comments] turning out to be an advertisement for Costco?!? ;)
That is funny. Greg's favorite veggies are brussel sprouts, although I hardly ever cook them! I also just came across a great stew/soup with butternut squash. It was the first time I had ever tried it. We have eaten it once a week for the past three. Super yummy!!! And easy. I will have to send you the recipe. The funny thing is that it's another veggie Joshua will eat. He only eats carrots, so as long as it is orangish, we can pass it off as "carrots"! Crazy kid! :)
Post a Comment