Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Brother Brigham Had the Right Idea

I wonder if, when he decided to make Utah's Dixie his winter retreat, Brigham Young had these things in mind:




Endless climbing for his rambunctious boys.



Uneven surfaces and tipsy toddlers make for worried mothers and wives.


Standing downhill from an 8 year old boy is definitely not the right place.


{How many shadows do you think his family cast?}


Climbing down the crack in a rock leads to discussions about cracks in other things.


Snow Canyon displays nature's version of fluorescent colors.


It is possible to tolerate more than one teenager at a time.

{Love you, Brock!}


Evidence of alien life in Southern Utah.

{Not us....the  WALL, people!}


Never underestimate the power that sunshine and unstructured roaming has on a 21 month old.


Busy boys are happy boys.


Sand in shoes is part of being a kid.


Sand down the back of your pants is part of being a boy.


Stopping a son for a photo op is not always an easy thing to do - sometimes you have to squish them up against a rock to get them to hold still.


What goes up must come down.


Everything is not always as it seems.


Was Pres. Young aware that pioneer tagging was going on - on the walls of Snow Canyon?


Boys are awesome.



Exploration of canyons that swallow you up whole is a humbling experience.

***

Yes, Brigham Young had the right idea.

Salt Lake in the summer.

St. George in the winter.

Smart man.


5 comments:

jjoan said...

Looks fun Kristen! Where do you like to stay when you visit St. George? Right in town? I am googling St. George lodging at this very moment. This is Janis btw.

Kristen said...

Hi, Janis! Glad you told me it was you - I wasn't sure who jjoan was. :D We stayed at the WorldMark condos - my parents have a time share there. It's just down the street from Green Valley (where my parents owned a condo for years - didn't you go with us one time when we were teenagers?)

This is a great time of year to go. We did get rain on Monday but the rest of the time felt nice and warm compared to what we left up north. Are you planning a trip soon?

Oh, and Snow Canyon is a must. Really fun for the kids.

jjoan said...

I DO remember that trip, seared into my memory in fact. One of my worst sunburns ever was from that trip. I came across Green Valley rentals and it sounded familiar. Now I know why. We are headed down in about or so. Wish it was NOW!

Kristen said...

Yes, I have many wrinkles to thank for those fun years of tanning pool side. With baby oil, no less!

Suzanne said...

Alien life...hahaha - I thought you meant yourselves at first. I know a certain someone would agree with the "alien" part just from judging by the sweatshirt *it's* wearing! :)