Monday, December 28, 2009

The Way to a Mother's Heart

Christmas '09 has come and gone.

The presents have been opened, the cookies eaten, the egg nogged, the house destroyed.

It was a wonderful time.

The anticipation leading to Christmas is what it is all about.  I love the build up, the electricity in the air, the wondering and questioning, the traditions that are ironclad.

The aftermath leaves me a bit sad though.  

Sad that it is all over.

And that another year of Christmas memories has come and gone so quickly.

Too quickly.

And that my children are yet another year older.

Sigh.

Thankfully, my kids all gave me homemade Christmas presents this year.  I will be able to see these gifts all year long and remember the moments we shared on Christmas morning.

I'm a sucker for kids' handmade gifts.

Yes, there were a few tears spilt.

Which is what they want and shoot for.

Tears from mom = Victory.  



Kennedy gave me the spring and summer paintings from her Seasons Series. She did winter for me last year and I've been asking her to do the others.  I will rotate them throughout the year using the same frame.


All I need now is the fall painting and my Kennedy Ann Collection is complete.

Taiden made a 2010 calendar for me.

Not only is he saving me the hassle of having to go out and find a new calendar,

but he has given the upcoming months a personalized touch.

Ah, that sun would feel good right now.

Brittan and I have an ongoing Christmas connection - we both cry when he gives me his Christmas gift.  My tears are more abundant, his are more of a mist.  But, for him, Christmas is complete only when we share this moment together. 

He gave me several gifts this year.  The first was a book of things he has been collecting for a very long time.  It includes things like photographs, cards on animals, and drawings that he and Taiden have done.  It even has a printer test sheet in it.  This was his own personal book that he decided to give to me.

He also gave me a self illustrated copy of The Night Before Christmas and some hand picked (from the dollar store) silk flowers for my bedroom.  He was so excited about the flowers.  I put them in the vase he gave me last year.  

They will sit on the bookshelf next to my bed.

Not matching in color to anything I have in my room.

But we moms are sometimes colorblind.

When it comes to our kids and their heartfelt gifts.

4 comments:

Aim said...

Those are some nice presents, I like Kennedy's season series.

Suzanne said...

I, too, was the proud recipient of a 2010 calendar and a self-illustrated copy of a book - "The 12 Days of Christmas" in my case. It really helps when the school has them do things, so there's no last minute, desperate shopping trips to the dollar store!

Rita said...

You can let your kids know that I cried just reading about their handcrafted love. Only a great mom gets such beautiful gifts.

Chris said...

This made me teary eyed too. Those handmade gifts are the very best. You are one very lucky mom.. and the kids are very lucky kids!