No I didn't just swear in the title of this post.
In fact, Linzer Schnitten is a word that is spoken with respect and reverence in this home.
{in a spirited English accent - much like Oliver Twist} "Mum, may I have some more Linzer Schnitten? Please, dear mum, may I have even just a speck more of Linzer Schnitten?"
Starting in October, the advertisers of the world band together in their great and spacious buildings devoting mountains of money to the effort of channeling into the minds and wants of our little ones. Anyone out there in Christendom knows what a challenge it is to keep the focus on our Savior and not on the latest gizmo or gadget that will soon end up in the bottom of the toy box. It really is a hard parental task. Harder still when you, as the parent, get caught up in the excitement of what Christmas morning can bring.
That's probably why Kennedy ended up with an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas when she was only 3 years old.
This year, I really wanted to try and shift our energies to our traditions and family time leading up to December 25. By easing up on the self inflicted "must do's" on my rather frantic holiday list, I've allowed for more time to spend with Jeff and the kids. For 2 years in a row, there will be no Christmas cards sent from this address. Horrifying, I know. I'll admit that my heart thumps for a minute or two when I get a card in the mail. I LOVE getting Christmas cards. Then I second guess my choice of postal silence. Eventually, I relax and realize that, once again, the world is still spinning on its axis and that the universe can and will go on without the Gregson family picture and yearly update circulating.
{I just hope the Postmaster General doesn't think that I'm breaking up with him.}
So, the traditions and family time have been bounteous this month. Concerts and nativities, music and movies, lights and Christmas books. It's been a rather cold month so there have also been several stops for Maverik's Hot Chocolate (with French Vanilla creamer). In the word's of Rachel Ray, "Yum-O!"
The first weekend of the month, I started a new tradition: The Gregson Clan's Baking Marathon. In short, we measured and mixed and stirred and boiled and rolled and cut and blended and baked for hours. I mean hours. It was a two day affair, and at the end, we produced 6 different types of cookies (roughly 21 dozen), two types of fudge, and licorice caramels.
Can you guess how many pounds of butter we used?
Here is the menu that is accompanying our simple brown craft boxes tied up with red and white baker's twine:
from the gregson kitchen
french buttons
simple, buttery cookies rolled in crystal sugar
reindeer oatmeal crispies
shortbread-oatmeal wheels dusted with powdered sugar
ebenezer's gingerbread cookies
these old fashioned babies definitely aren't stingy with the fresh ginger
bavarian mint fudge
swirly, twirly minty goodness
belgium chocolate fudge
you're welcome
lump o' coal licorice caramels
you might want to be naughty just so Santa brings these
mini gourmet caramel kringles
these aren't your mom's rice krispie treats
linzer schnitten
jeff's favorite christmas cookie: a unique german recipe
lemon shortbread bites
delicate and lemony and hard to resist
The Christmas music was playing. The mixers were humming. The flour was flying. The kitchen windows were fogging. It was a fun and exhausting 2 days. The kids were proud of their mass production of sweets and I was happy to have them in the kitchen with me. The freezer is full and ready for company that stops by and the boxes are being assembled for teachers, colleagues, neighbors, family, and friends.
Another tradition has been added to our Christmas season.
***
{And it was 10.
As in 10 pounds of butter.}
10 comments:
Soooo . . . that sounds delicious. Wish we lived closer!! (Now and always.)
I think it's great you're putting the "bah humbug" on all the "gotta have it" that goes on with advertising leading up to Christmas. I have done the same. I can't control all of the scheduling things (we are in the midst of high school soccer and so we have obligations), but I keep the store ads out of here and just keep it simple - well, as simple as I can make it. I know your family will reap huge benefits from your efforts and that the Spirit of Christmas will be felt rather than the frenzy of do, do, do and get, get, get. I'm so proud of you! Thanks for your wonderful influence.
delicious. and i know because i tasted...everything but the licorice carmels that is. great tradition...just may have to steal it!!!
Randee, I may have to force feed you one of those licorice caramels. Remember, Jeff hates black licorice but he loves those. You're missing out, my friend!
Ten pounds of butter -- now that's a Merry Christmas!
I love the idea of focusing on tradition.
(Oh, and I LOVE black licorice! -- I'm just saying...)
I too gave up the Christmas cards a few years ago. And seeing how many we have gotten this year I think a lot of other people have too. You are my hero to be doing that much Christmas cooking. I'm wimping out this year and going for the easy. Maybe in a couple of years when the kiddos are older we will copy your tradition.
oh i do love the cookie menu you've provided...they all sound so delicious.
i love a girl who knows how to compose and you certainly have that gift. i thoroughly enjoyed reading through your posts.
as for christmas cards...i went 3 years without sending them out - not necessarily by choice - but nonetheless, there were many people who missed them - as did i. however...i DID send them this year...*blushing* if it becomes something you don't look forward to though...i think taking a break is totally appropriate. as you said...the holidays are filled with so much "fluff" sometimes you just HAVE to make the executive decision to cut back and refocus.
love your blog.
thanks for visiting mine.
happy holidays & i'd LOVE the yummy recipes from all of your delicious holiday cookies...just send them my way in your spare time. *wink*
Yummmm....So...how far do you go with "neighbors" or "friends?" :) HaHaHa - totally joking! The baking/delivering-goodies-to-everyone part is one thing I eliminated from my self-inflicted Christmas "To-do" list...and then feel guilty when we receive from others!!
I only do Christmas cards EVERY OTHER year (the hard part is I make myself come up with a creative idea to write instead of just the "usual" letter.) But, I've noticed that people take you off their "mailing list" if you don't send one to them = you don't get as many cards in return! :(
the other Chris said....yes I know how delicious every one of these cookies WERE! Because I ate every one of them ....myself...for breakfast. and yes it was breakfast of Champions...and it made me feel better on the day after my friends funeral, when I allowed myself to feel sad. thanks, Kristen...oh and it was so much fun to catch you on your birthday dinner night! Such a cute family!
All I can say is : "YUM". I loved everything in that cute little box. Especially, (this one's for you Randee) the black licorice ones. Double Yum!! I'm just so impressed with the menu. (It was all I could do to make one type of something... and you come up with an entire menu of goodies! Love it!) You are so talented!!
Post a Comment