But Shaw invited Murphy and his danged law over yesterday so our postcard perfect post has taken a slight detour.
A detour to Gravityville.
I'll tell you more about that in a second. But first - drum roll please - I present to you (with no commercial interruptions) the Gregson Kids' Ornament Extravaganza! Huzzah!
I buy an ornament for each of the kids annually. A hanging memory of sorts that represents something about them for that year. This is one of their favorite parts of the Christmas season. Unpacking the box of tree decorations sends the kids on a one-way trip to Memory Lane. They can't wait to remind me of what each ornament represents. I just smile and play along as they retell the meaning behind every bauble as if to jog my memory. Most of their ornaments tend to dangle from the lowest branches on decorating night, but somehow migrate upwards after they go to bed.
Here are their ornaments this year:
Shaw sleeps with a white teddybear dressed in a pink snowman hoodie. Yes, most definitely pink. This bear was a prize thrown from Bukoos (a local merchant) during our Farmington Days parade in July. The bear is from The Cheesecake Factory so his nickname is "Cheesecake" or "Strawberry Cheesecake". Shaw loves his little stuffed friend and won't go to sleep without him. His ornament is not quite the right shade but we'll make it work.
Brittan, newly baptized and now old enough for scouts, was so excited for these 2 milestones. He will definitely be one of those boys who wants to pass off everything in the scout book. He really looked forward to getting his scout shirt and he made sure I knew that he wanted a scarf.
Kennedy's ornament was a little more difficult. I wanted to go in the direction of her being an officer this year but couldn't find a Husky (school mascot), or an officer sweater, or a Husky wearing an officer sweater. (Heck, if I can find a sushi ornament, shouldn't I be able to find that?!) So I had to get creative. Green is her school color. The sparkly glitter represents her personality and the fun she's had so far in 8th grade. The crazy, busy strands represent her too - she is crazy busy. With her officer duties requiring going to 1 - 2 athletic games a week, homework, YW, and the other things that occupy her time, she is always on the go.
Now...
deep breathing...
going to my happy place...
images of a Martha Stewart Christmas house of my own...
counting back from 10...
popping another Valium... (Just kidding about the Valium part. I don't do drugs. I just self-medicate with sugar.)
The Tragedy of the Tannenbaum Trio

It's been 6.5 years since we've had a toddler in the house, but apparently it's still in their molecular make-up to be attracted to Christmas decorations. Heavens - with Star Wars ornaments dangling next to toy ornaments next to cookie ornaments falsely advertising that they're edible - what should a 19 month old do? His world is one of touching, and pulling, and playing, and exploring.
And that's just exactly what he did yesterday morning as I was trying to slap on some mascara.
Here's some of the carnage. While Dorothy's Ruby Slipper and Jeff's Bugs Bunny are unharmed, Santa has lost both legs and Simba has been decapitated.
Ghastly!
The minute I heard the shrills of terror coming from Shaw, I knew exactly what had happened. See this is not the first time someone should have yelled, "TIMBER!". It's happened with 2 other kids. 4 tall and thin trees loaded down with yearly remembrances makes for an unstable situation when a 1 year old is let loose.
My solution?
Wrapped bricks and rocks to help anchor the trees. Great idea - just 4 hours too late this year.
December 3rd and we already have all of our bad Christmas Karma out of the way. The trees have fallen, been repaired, and put back together and our Christmas Present Peeker has been ousted. As long as we don't freeze to death tonight at Temple Square (10 degrees) we should be good.
But will you keep us in your prayers just to be sure?
2 comments:
Oh no! Were you able to fix the piano & Simba? I hope so - if not, I'd be sick!
We have been talking about the same potential problem we will have this year -- and, as a result, we haven't even put up our tree, yet! (That and we haven't had time.) Maybe tomorrow...with all the ornaments in the top half of the tree, and the wrapped presents on top of the armoire instead of under the tree.
So far Cedric has left our tree alone other than rearranging a few of the ornaments. I have given up on putting any of the breakable ones on the tree. The bricks are a great idea, I hope it works. It usually took one time for the tree to be pulled over for my kids to learn not to try that again. Just watch today will be the day that Cedric pulls the tree down and he will do it again tomorrow.
Post a Comment