Ah, kids. You gotta spank 'em.
I mean, love 'em. That's what I meant to say. Love 'em and paddle 'em and hug 'em.
We have a Christmas peeker in our family. And his name is Brittan. A couple of weeks ago, I had a gift in my bedroom, covered carefully with a beach towel, waiting to be hidden away someplace safe. Because my home is the size of a cracker jack box and finding perfect gift hiding places requires hours of organizing, sorting, and dejunking, the towel draped present remained in my room for several days.
And Brittan peeked.
The little stealthy sneaker.
But here's where the real frustration lies - the present wasn't even for him. He knew what was under my lame Christmas camouflage was meant for his older brother. I caught wind that Brittan may have seen something he wasn't supposed to, so that night as I was tucking them into bed, I talked to them about Christmas looky-looks and how it just ruins any surprises and the excitement of Christmas morning. I emphasised that even if you know where things are hidden, you need to resist the urge to peek. And you need to keep your mouth shut with any information you might have.
Get real, Kristen.
As a kid, my mom would make a list of what we were getting for Christmas. Down to the very last candy cane. The problem was, she would leave it on the kitchen counter in plain sight with a spotlight blazing on its classified information. I swear I remember bold letters across the top of the list beckoning to "READ ME." I obliged. I don't know why. I couldn't control my eyes (nor my hands picking up the list to bring it close to my face). The entire time I knew I shouldn't be doing what I was doing and I would keep saying to myself (as the paper got closer and closer to my wild eyes), "Stop! Put the list down and walk away! Walk away and have the strength to never be tempted by a literary lure like this again!" But I couldn't tame my curiosity. I would read the whole list in less than a nanosecond, know what the entire family was getting for Christmas, then quickly replace it to its rightful place.
That list should have been contained in an alarmed-temperature-controlled-bullet-proof-glass case (spotlight still shining). It was a truly invaluable document and should have been given the respect it deserved.
Or at least handled with white gloves.
{Might I add that this may be the first time my mom is gaining this knowledge. I'm sorry mom. I was a restraintless child lacking in Noel morals.}
So, perhaps I deserve having a child with this same foible. I'm just not sure how to handle my current situation. See, Santa is still a very powerful and popular guy around here. A hidden camera 2 years ago gave my kids solid proof that he exists and is more jolly than ever. We're a house of believers. If my boys ever start to doubt I tell them to simply not write a letter to St. Nick that year and see what happens.
They've never risked it.
Back to the challenge on hand, Brittan sees a gift with uncanny resemblance to something Taiden has on his Santa list. He waits a whopping 12 seconds until after I leave the room to tell Taiden exactly what he saw. Keep in mind that this is 12 seconds after I finished my articulate, expressive, and persuasive Don't Spoil Christmas speech.
What is a mother to do?
A) take back the gift and think of something else
B) give it anyway and have a major spoiler alert in regards to the guy in the red suit
C) shift some things around and have mom and dad get the credit under the Christmas tree
D) tell Brittan that the gift was actually for him and that it is being returned to the store...that way Taiden can keep it on his Santa list and hopefully Santa will still be able to deliver
E) cancel Christmas
I chose D and coupled it with a TV-less day for Brittan.
* Post note: Before you think I'm a horrible mom, let me assure you that I don't spank my kids. TV-less days are much more painful. :D
{Psst! Be sure to answer the "Did you peek as a kid?" question over on the right.}

10 comments:
My boys dug under the bed and found Christmas a couple of presents too. I was pretty mad! I told them they were going back to the store. Boy were they sad! I actually kept them and they will be wrapped under the tree instead of from Santa. Growing up my mom had my dad put a lock on one of the closets in the basement. My mom was able to hide all the loot and never worry that we would find it. I think I may do that next year!
I'd say D...but bring your gifts to my house...they won't find them here! And by the way, YES I was a peeker. But I peeked after my gifts were wrapped...could open them perfectly and re-wrap them all...yes I'm actually a special agent with special talents.
I have peeking issues myself (that sounds a little perverted - sorry)
Peekers never prosper... or was that cheaters never prosper... however the saying goes, it means he should be PUNISHED!!! (You have to say "punished" in a german-hitler-ish-way while raising your fist in the air... it sounds WAY more believable).
We NEVER peeked at any of our Christmas gifts growing up even though we knew EXACTLY where they all were. I guess it was the whole surprise thing Christmas morning that was the big thrill.
P.S. Randee, I'm thoroughly impressed with your skills. I'm not surprised, but I'm still impressed. THAT is talent!
I myself never really wanted to peek - I always quite enjoyed the surprise. I would vote for option C - keep the gift and let the credit for such a desired gift go to you. It's funny your mom made a list - I do that too. It's the only way I can remember what to wrap since we too live in a cracker box and space is an issue so when I buy gifts I write them down and then hide the gifts (and the list!)I already have almost every gift wrapped and put up in boxes above the rafters in the garage (where we store Christmas decorations, etc....) They are none the wiser! Works for us.
Meg - How did you have the willpower? You KNEW where they were and you NEVER peeked? I would have guessed you to be a sneaky peeker but I've pegged you wrong. :D
My Jeff was a peeker too. He knew his parents hid the gifts in his grandparents basement and he would always look. He said he just would see boxes and never really know what was in them, but the thrill and nervous tension in the air while trying to get a look was a rush. We both deserve to have a child who can't wait.
We must think alike in a "hiding presents" strategy!! Right at this moment, I have a big blanket covering multiple bags in my bedroom that have been there for the last week & a half! I tried abandoned dresser drawers & empty coolers out in the garage to hide them in, but they're all too small!
I, myself, would be tempted to substitute a different Santa gift altogether, but if THAT ONE was what Taiden REALLY wants, it's hard. Same thing with making it a gift from YOU - since Santa is the one who brings the BIG ones at our home!
But, I totally looked as a child. I found keys and entered my Dad's locked shop and went through all the bags. I searched his closet. And I even unwrapped gifts under the tree, then wrapped them back up! I, too, saw written lists my Mom had made. I just wanted to KNOW! But, now, I'm totally different. I want to be surprised. I don't even like to give my family a "list" because then I'll have a clue as to what I might be getting. (And also run the risk of getting "undesirable" things.)
P.S. Oh, I just remembered that you have a camper trailer. Here's something that might work for you...Back when my in-laws were [eternally] "storing" their tent trailer on the side of our home, it DID make a great place to hide Christmas presents - and it locked - that was the ONLY thing that trailer got used for all those years it was parked there! :)
At our house Santa only fills the stockings. And he stocks the well. But then all the gifts are from mom and dad. That way there is never a wonder of "did i get this from mom or santa. Plus I like my kids knowing who to thank for their gifts.
I am also in a house of non peekers. My kids know that starting in Oct. My room is off limits. And seriously they don't come in. I leave all sorts of gifts just laying around in there and they don't peek. I would be in a world of trouble if Brit lived with me.
I also make a detailed list, but it's in a password protected word document!
Post a Comment