Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Untitled


Sometimes I feel like I'm playing house.

Just playing house and patiently waiting for the real grown ups to show up.

Looking for someone to leave me a To Do list and a schedule for the rest of my life.


And when I stop and realize that this is real and that I'm mistakenly the one in charge, 

I get a lump in my throat.


When is somebody going to realize that I have no idea what I'm doing?


That I'm just pretending to be mature enough to raise a teenager.

That I'm really not sure that I'm tough enough to raise 3 sons.

That I'm definitely not patient enough to watch myself do this.

{That I'm still afraid of the dark.}


When and how did I get here?


My driver's license assures me that I'm old enough.

My weakened bladder reaffirms daily that, yes indeed, I did give birth to 4 children.  

My mammoth mountain of laundry reminds me that this is no joke.


And when, in just a fraction of a second and out of the corner of my eye, I catch a glimpse of myself (both naughty and nice) in my children, it suddenly comes crashing down on me that I am a real, genuine, bona fide parent.


{Gulp!}


Sometimes, when I see a piece of me in them it's exhilarating.  

And sometimes, well, it makes me cringe.  


Sure, I love to take some of the credit for their friendliness, their outgoing natures, their drive and determination.  


But, unfortunately, I also need to take some responsibility for their quick tempers, their impatience with each other, and their loud voices that sometimes bite.


Yeah, that's me too.


{Rats!}


Each morning, I put on my game face, act like I know what I'm doing, and continue playing house.  


And I pray daily that someday I'll get it right.













7 comments:

Aim said...

I totally feel like this! I think you are a fabulous parent!

Suzanne said...

I don't know what the heck I'm doing, that's for sure! But, they expect me to.
I see my [less than desirable] characteristics in them, too, and I wish I could go back and change all those times I was that "example" to them. It really stinks when their mannerisms are so easily identified by others as being "inherited" from me..."I wonder where that came from!?" nudge, nudge.
The Brady Bunch made parenting look so SMOOTH! :)

Julie said...

I feel the same way. Just keep doing what you're doing. You are doing a GREAT job - we learn along the way. My prayers are that what I didn't know before that I have now learned won't affect them too negatively - wishing sometimes I could do it all over again (even though I'm still in the midst of it) with my better perspective. But it is a learning process and we can't be too hard on ourselves. Just keep trying. Things have an amazing way of working for good!!!

Rita said...

Wow. Perfect description of how most parents must feel...except that "playing house" sounds a lot more fun than this is!!

Anonymous said...

To Kristen and all Commenters!

Don't you see...? That is why you hear such great things about grandparenting. You do all the fun things with the kids, then send them home with the cook, laundress, disiplinarian, homework monitor, and nurse. The only thing you might get criticized for is letting the grandchildren take something out of the treat drawer without asking first!

Jana said...

Wow! Could I ever relate! Thanks for putting in words what I often feel inside. You are not alone!

Hay Dub said...

I love love love your blog. I don't read them as often as I would like, but when I do get a chance you bring a smile to my. You just seem to get it;) I still can't believe I am the mom and that i have three girls.