Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sister Kristen

The year was 1992.  I was 20.  At the time, I had no thoughts or conceptions that someday I would be a mother of 4, blogging for sanity, and recovering from a nasty case of the swine flu.

Back then, I probably would have thought the Swine Flu was a new grunge band.

I had no worries about gravity's toll on my sistas.  No thoughts crossed my mind of the fact that, one day, my epidermis would betray me with it's candid age telling abilities.  In circa 1992, I ate muffin tops and didn't wear them.

Basically, I had no worries in the world.  All I cared about was having as much fun as possible while enjoying my time at the Y.  I had a great boyfriend, Mr. Jeffrey Jay, and he had great Brandon Walsh hair.  I cooked for him and he helped me with the dishes.  He also made me continually laugh.

Life was easy and carefree.

Back in the early 90's, I had a touch more adventurism within me than I do today.  When you have the time, call me and I'll tell you the stories of hanging bras on BYU statues and getting caught trespassing in the old abandoned BYAcademy (complete with sirens, flood lights, and a visit to court).  

And to think when I pulled these shenanigans I did so without a drop of liquor in me! 


This particular Halloween, I hosted a party and invited 15 other costumed couples.  It was an evening of good eats, a massive scavenger hunt, and ended with one couple getting engaged (we didn't find out about that until later).  Jeff and I, in our clever and mischievous minds, thought it would be hilarious if we dressed up as a couple (of sorts).  We decided to dress formally and go with a black and white scheme.  Classic.  Elegant.  Very sophisticated.


I was his perfect waddling sidekick.  Estimated due date?  Any moment.  I was great with fluffy pillow totally wearing a 3rd trimester glow.  We thought we were cute, and funny, and sure to spark a conversation or two.


Oh, yes, conversations we did spark.  2 days after the party, there was a huge write up in the campus newspaper.  Someone wrote in and went on and on about how they had seen a pregnant nun and priest running around campus.  The writer was fired up about how irreverent this particular couple was and how appalling it was that such a thing could happen on BYU's campus.

Oh, to be young and so offensive.

Such unbecoming, or should I say unbenunning, behaviors.

Good thing that habit didn't stick.

8 comments:

Chadwick said...

Scandalous! I have an even more blasphemous Halloween story, but I'll never tell. What is it about having children that suddenly makes us boring?

kristen said...

you guys look so young! kennady looks just like you kristen!

Rita said...

I actually attended your great party. Even back then you were the queen of smashing entertainment. I'll have to pull out my scrapbooks and scan the group pic I have. You may have lost a little adventure (except for your moonshine, er, homemade vanilla operation) but you look exactly as young and darling as ever!

Leslie said...

Oh, the memories!! It's a good thing that some things never change! That was a FUN night!!

Ry Guy said...

Why am I not surprised that BYU zoobies are COMPLAINING about their fellow classmates like that?! ;)

Kristen said...

Watch it, Ryan! I know where you live!

Hey, guess who's going to the BYU vs. U of U game this year?! Oh, that would be ME (and Jeff).

Mitchell Family said...

you look exactly the same...but jeff looks like he's 11 going on 12. PERFECTION to the brandon walsh hair do! i forsee a comeback???

Chris said...

Your old Habits have NOT changed at all...it is still in you. hope you are feeling better