Friday, July 24, 2009

Foreshadowing?

After the events of the last 2 weeks, I've been telling Jeff to tread lightly. 

Watch his step.

Tiptoe through his day.

Not walk under any ladders.

{Increase his life insurance policy.}

First, the collision course up  Farmington Canyon.  Not too earth shattering, but still unnerving. No major damage done but just enough to cause me to have second thoughts about driving up there anytime soon.  Jeff says he knows how to bind and gag a person so I may not have too much choice in future canyon tours.

Second, he got hit by a car while taking a morning bike ride.  I hate when he bikes on the street.  I especially hate when he heads way out west on State Street - a long stretch of road where cars drive fast.  He was stopped at a light, then it was his turn to go, but the car didn't see him and didn't stop soon enough.  Luckily, the car was going slowly and only hit his front tire, but Jeff said he was prepared to roll on the car's hood.  The guy was stunned and after he stopped and looked up at Jeff he started to honk his horn.  Slow reflexes, I guess.  Jeff was absolutely fine and, again, no real harm done.  Unless you count my nerves as collateral damage.

Third, Jeff and the boys did a driveway camp out.  The tent trailer was beckoning them and they obliged.  Jeff did a quick, (ahem) lazy-man's version of putting it together but didn't bother with lowering the support legs on the back end.  Jeff slept on the unsupported end and the boys slept on the other side.  Everything was fine until morning.  The boys wanted to wake up their dad, walked to his side of the trailer, and the trailer tipped on it's end.  THE ENTIRE TRAILER WAS TIPPED SO THAT JEFF'S BED WAS ON THE GROUND RATHER THAN BEING 4 FEET OFF THE GROUND.  

Don't understand?  Here's a pictorial explanation.
   


Fourth, another biking calamity but this time he was in the mountains.  He came riding down a trail, came around a corner, and a horse and rider were right in the middle of the path. To avoid spooking the animal and miss a messy pileup with a 900 lb. equine, he did an end-o and flipped off the trail.  Heaven, AGAIN, was looking out for him and there was no injury to him or damage to his bike.  (FYI - the rider of the horse didn't even ask if he was OK; she didn't say anything to him)

As if these incidences weren't enough...

Fifth, he went and turned 39 on me.  Just like that.  Didn't even consult with me to see if I was OK with that.  Humph!  By turning 39, I'd like to claim that there has been no damage or injury as a result. But, sadly, I cannot.  More grey hair, old man snoring, mysterious nasal and ear hair growth, and an over-abundance of boyish irreverence have appeared.

Did I mention he also tunes me out more now than he did when we were first married?

(Yeah, yeah, don't think that I can't hear you mumbling something about him being "older and wiser" and having a wacky wife like me would drive any man to selective hearing.  Don't think that I don't sense those vibes through my computer's keyboard!)




In all seriousness, I love my husband.  He is my greatest friend and I couldn't ask for a better father for our children.  He is the best thing that ever happened to me and he loves me in spite of myself.  He talks openly to me and shows me insights that I need to see.  He is kind and good and has his priorities straight.  He is not caught up in the things of this world.  He has an eternal perspective for which I am grateful.

He is awesome.

So, looking back over these close calls that he's experienced these last 2 weeks, do I think it is foreshadowing of doom and gloom or bad things to come?

No.

I think I have a husband who is living life and experiencing what this world has to offer.  He is getting out there and kicking it up a notch.  Being active and enthusiastic about things he loves.

And not worrying about the fact that he has turned 39.

For his birthday, he wanted to go camping at Anderson Cove up at Pineview. We had a great time.
   




Jeff, we have a lot of living to do.  Places to explore, people to meet, food to taste, sights to see, and adventures to face.   A whole world to experience and a whole lifetime still ahead of us.

And I'm glad that you'll be the one by my side through it all.


5 comments:

Lori said...

Whew! Stay safe Jeff and don't leave the house!

Sounds like you have had lots of fun.
Happy Birthday!

Trent and Britni said...

Man, talk about some close little calls over the last few weeks! Those should all last him at least for the next 40 years, so you should be good to go for a while! =) Happy Birthday Jeff!

Rita said...

Yikes times 10. I am so glad that your big guy is still okay after all that's happened but mostly I'm glad that he's my same age now! :) Hee hee. Happiest birthday to your honey.

sydney g. said...

I think to avoid any further incidentals you should tie him to a chair and handcuff his arms and ankles! luv ya guys

Suzanne said...

Sounds like bikers aren't treated very well! Now that I'm biking, you've got me scared!

P.S. Ryan told us the other day that Jeff looks YOUNGER than Matt or I (when in fact, he's 2 months & 11 months OLDER) this comes after telling us that Jeff also ACTS cooler, too. Ryan's so good on our self-esteem!! ;)