Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Because I love you...

...and as a Cook who loves really good recipes and as a Foodie who loves really good food, I thought I should pass along this tasty tidbit.  Perfect for a Valentine's Day breakfast in bed or perhaps to score extra points with your kids in the mommy category.  However you choose to use it, it will make you look like a prize whisk-er in the kitchen.


Oh, by the way, I've included my famous syrup recipe.  This was handed down from my great aunt, LaVon.  If I someday get around to distributing it to the masses and easily earning a million dollars or so, you must promise to cease and desist from making it.  At that point, you'd have to drive to your local market and pick up a bottle with a pretty label containing my picture (the label would be pretty, not my picture).  Until that day, enjoy from the convenience of your home. ;D

Hearthstone Inn French Toast

  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 c. baking mix (Bisquick)
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1 loaf French bread, sliced ( I get mine at Costco...thickly sliced and perfect for this)
  • vegetable oil
  • Spiced butter (see below)
In a large bowl, blend together eggs, baking mix, sugar, milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg until smooth. Dip bread slices in batter to cover.  Cook bread slices in oil until brown.  Serve immediately with Spiced Butter and Kristen's Famous Syrup.

Spiced Butter

  • 1/2 c. soft butter
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
  • 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
Beat all ingredients together until fluffy.

Kristen's Famous Syrup (do not try this unless you're willing to break up with Mrs. Butterworth forever...there's no going back!)
  • 1 cube butter
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1/4 tsp. soda
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. maple flavoring
Boil 2 - 3 minutes.  You may want to double or triple the recipe for a large family.  Store leftovers in the refrigerator and simply reheat in the microwave.  ***Warning:  This can be addicting!!  My father-in-law enjoys it on ice cream.  Heck, even a 2 x 4 would be palatable with my liquid gold.

9 comments:

Amy and Brad said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the EXACT meal our family missed out on! Dang!

And if it's as good as it looks, I don't dare tell the kids it's 'The Meal That Never Was'...poor Lyssie got berated by her siblings all that day -"It's YOUR fault we couldn't see the Gregsons!"

Thanks for sharing! I'm totally making this over the weekend!

Love you guys!

Kristen said...

Yep, that is the exact meal you missed. ;( You also missed Jeff's incredibly delicious fresh fruit platter. He even carved little Brad faces in the strawberries. Sorry you missed it.

Lori said...

This sounds yummy. Of course I have already been using your yummy syrup recipe for a couple of years. Couldn't live with out it but probably should! :)

Amy and Brad said...

Brad faces in the strawberries?! I may need to hear more about this...

Rita said...

You are my FAVORITE! I cannot wait to try this out. I'd better run an extra mile or two or ten on Saturday!

Atkin Family said...

Kristen -- I can hardly look at all those ingredients and steps b/c they look so complicated. I may be a great personal shopping assistant, but I can't even begin to tell you the anxiety I feel when I see all those ingredients and directions. I soooo admire those of you that can whip that up in a heartbeat. I'll pass it along to my husband -- he's the cook in our family . . . otherwise its Burger King French Toast Sticks -- now THERE'S a LOW FAT breakfast!!

Amanda said...

Kristen, I love checking in to your blog. There is always something uplifting and fun on it. Thanks for sharing. Amanda

Suzanne said...

I'm surprised I've never seen you at Costco -- I live there! (practically).

I don't know about making this...if I do something this fabulous, then I've "raised the bar" and I'm "tied" to meeting everyone else's HIGH EXPECTATIONS! :)

Suzanne said...

OK - I finally made this for the FAM and it is DE-LIC-IOUS!! Haylee ate dinner!!! (And that NEVER happens!) Absolutely NO leftovers - I made 15 out of it! We had a request to have it once a week, but I'm one of those people who don't want to repeat a meal more often than once every several months, but if I wanted to start, this would be a good one to do it with! You might not get this comment since this post is "Ancient History" by now, but I thought I'd let you know anyway. :)