Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Run, Brittan, run!

In an earlier post, I told about the Golden Foot program at the boys' elementary school. The kids have an opportunity to earn plastic feet to put on a necklace each time they run 5 miles. It's part of a district fitness program and I think it's great. They can only run during 1st recess (15 minutes) and there is either the principal or recess duty person out there to check off the kids' cards and to make sure that everyone is being honest.

My (more than) slightly-obsessive-almost-7-year-old has taken the challenge very seriously. If this kid puts his mind to it, he will do whatever it takes to accomplish the task at hand. Since the program started at the beginning of the school year, he has run
30 miles. Yep, he just received his 6th foot today. Keep in mind that he only runs during 1 recess a day. He is pretty dang proud and wears his necklace daily as his badge of honor.



I keep telling Jeff that if Britt is going to run so much, I need to find ways to fatten him up a bit because he does not have an OUNCE of fat to spare. He was Mr. Skinny Bones before he started and I worry that he will wither away to nothing. Wish I could give him some of MY excess food storage. Weight loss through transference. That would be lovely.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Go Brittan! Sounds like he's got his mom's goal-orientation!! What a cutie.

Aim said...

Wow 30 miles for a 6 year old is a great accomplishment.

Mitchell Family said...

impressive...i'm feeling a little inspired. seriously i can hear the rocky theme music. tell your boy he's a rock star. oh and thanks for the jeff church keys reminder. jer and i were laughing...it's a problem.

Trent and Britni said...

Go Britt! What a little stud! Man, I wish I had that much dedication to running!! Tell my little buddy that I'm sooo proud! =)