Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Ode to All Hallows Eve


I love Halloween. I mean I really, really love it. There is so much nostalgia and a plethora of sensory connections to this month of ghosts and goblins. Growing up, my mom always did homemade doughnuts in October. She always baked stew in a pumpkin. I always loved the sensation of being spooked when I heard J.S. Bach's Toccata in D Minor. Picking out the perfect costume. Walking through crunchy leaves. The traditional Halloween parade at school. The smell of a candle heating up a carved pumpkin. I love it, love it, love it! My brother, Scot, and I would always dump out our priceless candy loot, sort it according to type (candybars, suckers, boxed, etc...) then borrow my mom's Tupperware containers, and stash it in our rooms. At Halloween, there's just a certain electricity in the air. It smells, feels, and tastes different from any other time of the year. It's just a great time to be a kid.

My kids have carried on the tradition of loving Halloween. About the first of September, they start thinking about what they want their costumes to be. Before October 1st hits, we've already decorated the house thoroughly. My boys have complained that our house isn't scary enough. I have gone for more of the "Gardner Village" folkart look but they want it more spookified. This year, I delivered. I bought some creepier, spine tingling goodies to put about but now they say it's too scary. Too scary for them or the little kids coming to the door? I don't think they'll admit which it is. Kennedy was home alone one night and called us asking when we'd be home because, she explained, "The Halloween decorations are looking at me!" Here is a sampling of our Ode to All Hallows Eve:


Two of my favorite decorations: Jack the Pumpkin King faces and the folk artish framed piece on the wall.

Nope, didn't sew these but you crafty people out there most certainly could.


Exhibit A: these will stare at 12 year olds left home alone

Potion ingredients for the cauldron (all original ideas and found in my kitchen): Zombie toenail clippings, ancient mummy bones, and slug slime. On the table but not shown in picture , snake venom, witch warts, and werewolf dandruff.

My favorite Halloween decorations are the glowing pumpkins we have in our windows that face out to the street. There are pumpkins in 10 windows and it looks awesome at night.

Now, why would a sweet skull-faced welcoming witch scare off potential trick or treaters?

Welcoming witch's pot of bones

I fancied up these black leaves with glue and purple glitter. Looks very "morbid chic' "

Our shed with various buckets used throughout the years

Ghosts I made by tearing white fabric



8 comments:

Unknown said...

You're so creative. Don't ever show this to my kids. They don't need to know that other people actually buy those decorations they covet at the stores.

L said...

You are way too good! I am so impressed! Maybe we'll have to make the drive to your house just to see it all in person. I can't believe how big Shaw is getting. All your kids are so adorable!

Rita said...

Awesome! Halloween is my hubby's favorite too but it has nothing to do with invigorating his senses...he's a CANDYMAN!!

The decorations are so YOU and so great (except for the spooky staring ones ;) )I might get around to ripping myself a ghost or two. Thanks for the ideas.

Aim said...

I love Halloween too but my husband doesn't. It's his birthday and he has always hated it being on Halloween. So I can't decorate too much. Usually I have the decorations up by the first but we have been so busy lately I haven't had any time to yet. I'm impressed by your decorations!

Mitchell Family said...

i've said it before, but i'll say it again...you are talented my freind. love the trick or treat buckets on the shed. very potterybarn-esc!

Amy and Brad said...

You are so clever! I love your decorations (and share your love of all things Halloween...and Fall in general, now that I think about it). What a great, festive post!!

Trent and Britni said...

You are the coolest mom ever! I would have loved that as a kid. You are so creative!! I love how fun your house always is at Halloween!

Ryan (Ranger) said...

wow kristen, i've never recognized your inner goth before.