Jeff has always said that toys are way overrated. I would have to agree. Each birthday and Christmas we hum and ha over what toys to get the kiddos because a) we've been collecting toys and the such for 12 years and there's plenty around here and b) our children don't usually get as excited as the kids on the commercials. Our kids have their favorites but a lot of the stuff we've given them over the years sits quietly, collecting dust, piling up and helping to make our already small house feel smaller. Humph!
Case in point: After the kids put together the high chair for Shaw, they were left with a large empty box. You would have thought that it was the latest-and-greatest-can't-find-anywhere-must-have-item-of-the-holiday-season gift. My kids adore boxes. Costco trips are a heavenly experience for Britt because we come home with so many cardboard playthings just waiting to be turned into homemade computers, T.V.s, art canvases, car ramps and the such. I think this Christmas we'll do all our shopping at Boxes R Us.
Cardboard box: Two enthusiastic thumbs up
Case in point: After the kids put together the high chair for Shaw, they were left with a large empty box. You would have thought that it was the latest-and-greatest-can't-find-anywhere-must-have-item-of-the-holiday-season gift. My kids adore boxes. Costco trips are a heavenly experience for Britt because we come home with so many cardboard playthings just waiting to be turned into homemade computers, T.V.s, art canvases, car ramps and the such. I think this Christmas we'll do all our shopping at Boxes R Us.
Cardboard box: Two enthusiastic thumbs up
Britt with his handy flashlight drawing murals in his new home. Jeff thought he was playing "what it must be like to be homeless".
** Not pictured: Britt using the box as a dressing room before church. I walked into the front room and he was sitting, buck naked, in it trying to get dressed. He saw the sparkle in my eye (he knows I "think in blog" nowadays) as I grabbed my camera. He started to howl from embarrassment thinking his kibbles and bits were going to be posted. No, I did not take a picture. Even though I wanted to.
The box was also used as a sort of spinning, smashing, thrashing ride which comprised of Taiden sitting in the box, lid closed, while Kennedy and Britt threw it around as best they could. It was very LOUD but there were bursts and laughter and squeals of enthusiasm so fun was had by all participants. At one point, the box was knocked over, I heard a definite CRACK! and rushed to see Taiden toppled out of the box. Next to him lay my poor, innocent candy bowl which had survived 12 previous Halloweens:
Taiden broke it with his HEAD! Luckily the cracking sound was the ceramic bowl and not his noggin. The 3 of them quickly looked at me, wide eyed with anticipation of how I would react. See, I tend to let my temper get the best of me and I admit that I'm pretty much an over reactor. I hope to someday be able to say I USED to be an over reactor. For the time being, I can simply say I am working on it. Anyhow, they looked at me and wondered how long I would stand there stunned. I stopped myself from exploding my typical reaction, grinned and said, "Taiden, you broke that with your HEAD! That was awesome!" Relief washed over their faces. I'm glad that I let us share a memory making moment of the day Taiden head butted and smashed mom's Halloween candy bowl minus the drama over a material thing getting ruined. Good job me (I'm patting myself on the back). :D
3 comments:
I'm totally patting you on the back for that one, too! It is hard to keep things in perspective in the heat of the moment (and that looked like a CUTE bowl!) I love that you reacted with humor. Life with kids gets messy and things get broken. I hate when I get overly angry at my kids for BEING KIDS. Good for you, Kristen!
I NEVER overreact...NOTHING gets me - spilled milk, broken dishes, "D" on a report card, lying, destruction in the house/car, idiotic behavior in general - I'm always calm, cool, & collected, what's your problem?!? Yah - RIGHT!! :(
Forehead star for your reaction! I love this little story.
Post a Comment