Wednesday, September 17, 2008

You'll Be Grounded from the Baby for a Month







Shaw is now 4 1/2 months old. He is a drool monster and constant smiler and he is adored, loved, cherished, and fussed over continually. So much so that he is now becoming a source of contention among the kids. THEY FIGHT OVER HIM. I emphasise that because I think it is completely, 100%, truly ridiculous. He's not going anywhere. He'll be here for quite awhile. So why the panic? I am constantly hearing, "Mom, I was holding Shaw and ___________________ (insert Kennedy, Taiden, or Brittan) came and took him away from me", or "Mom, _________________ (again, insert name) is taking too long with Shaw and I want a turn". RIDICULOUS! I'm so thrilled that they can't get enough of him, that their day is not complete without at least 2 dozen kisses planted on his bald, little head. That Kennedy has a picture of him in her locker, front and center, and that all her friends "ahhhhh" over his gummy grin. I'm happy when Taiden leaves for school and tells me to give Shaw a kiss and relay the message that he loves him. I really love that tenderness. Britt was talking to one of Shaw's new pictures telling the photograped Shaw how cute he was and that he was the baby of the world. I'm so grateful that they have such incredible affection and intense feelings for him. But why the fighting? Why does it sometimes end in a tug of war over the baby...and they use HIM as the rope?

It's become enough of a problem that we've had to make seating assignments in Sacrament Meeting. Yes, I'm totally serious. We started the rotation last Sunday. Jeff and I sit next to each other. 2 kids on one side of me, 1 kid on Jeff's side. The privileged child sitting next to their dad gets to hold and entertain the baby during the meeting. They have to wait until after the sacrament has been passed. Britt was the lucky guy this past week and the other kids could hardly contain their envy. Taiden kept infringing on the new set of rules. I was holding Shaw during the sacrament and Taiden was all but climbing onto my lap to get as close to him as possible. He wanted to snuggle with Shaw but was smothering me. He almost got the boot out into the hall. Lots of love for Shaw Ehman Gregson.

It's amazing how they all scatter when he has a poopy diaper.

5 comments:

sandi said...

There's just something about those adorable little babies. Who else could be so irresistable with no teeth and no hair. I can't say as I blame the kids for fighting over him. Maybe you could teach some intense diaper changing and let that come with whoever has the baby. I realize that Kennedy already knows how to change him, but Taiden and Britt may lose interest quickly when they are faced with the dirty diaper. Good luck. Love you guys.

Jen Brown Wunderlich said...

I know what you mean about the Sacrament Meeting seating assignments. We have them too, but it's mainly so they won't beat each other to a bloody pulp. (Or wait, is it so I won't beat them to a bloody pulp!?!)

We need to get together.

Rita said...

Oh my gosh this post made me laugh out loud!! You describe the scene so well. We had/have similar problems with Alec and our older kids...must be the large age gap. The big kids at my house don't necessarily fight over him but they play the victim is Alec doesn't choose them. "Mom, Alec said he likes ____ better than me," etc.

Good luck with Sacrament meeting. Just wait until they can make him laugh too loudly or drive him to tears with their pestering!!

Amy and Brad said...

I'm just impressed that you and Jeff get to sit by each other in Sacrament Meeting! We have to strategically position ourselves on opposite ends of the kids to keep things under control!

So, so sweet about the kids and their total love for Shaw. What a lucky baby!

Daina Crowell said...

SO cute! Look how big and alert he is! What a little stud. When you get your turn on the Shaw rotation, give him a squeeze for us.