Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Golden Foot, Jazz Hands, and I Am

The kids are off to a positive start of school. They are all loving their classes and settling into the busy schedule that school and after-school activities bring. Some of their highlights are:

Brittan is part of the Golden Foot club at the elementary school. There is a charted course around the playground and if they run that course 5 times it equals 1 mile. They can only do it during the first recess when the principal is outside marking off their running cards. In 5 days, he ran 5 miles. 5 MILES! I can just picture my little skinny Britt running his dedicated heart out in his camo Crocs. Because he ran 5 miles, he earned a foot charm on a necklace to show his mileage. Every 5 miles he gets a foot. He gets a golden foot when he runs 50 miles. Believe me, he will do it!

Kennedy has her first junior high dance tomorrow after school. Are we evil, awful, plotting parents if we encouraged her to use lots of jazz hands and jazz squares in her dance moves and assured her that the "Sprinkler" is still all the rage and to use it abundantly? Isn't that what you would do to keep the boys at arms length? Let them think she is cute and nice and fun to be around but let them also be afraid to ask her to dance because you never know when she's gonna start doing the Running Man. Let them be unsure about asking her to SLOW dance and getting within 2 feet of her and putting their hands on her waist. Oh! I better get her up early and practice the Cabbage Patch!

My sweet Taiden boy wrote this poem and had it posted on the wall for us to read at Back to School Night. This kid always has a way of getting my eyes a little misty.

I Am
I am a snowboarder and golfer,
I wonder about the future,
I want to fly,
I am a snowboarder and golfer.
I pretend to be Indiana Jones,
I feel happy when we do something fun,
I worry about fires,
I am a snowboarder and golfer.
I say nice words,
I dream about adventures in the mountains,
I try to work hard,
I am a snowboarder and golfer.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that poem. He's too sweet. You're a lucky mom!

Aim said...

Oh I remember those Jr. High dances, I thought that they were terrible. I hope Kennedy has a good time.

Mitchell Family said...

first...if your son can run 5 miles in 5 days your surely will do fine running ragnar.

second...if the cabbage patch doesn't keep the boys away, tell kennedy to come over to my home so jer can show her some of his glorious moves. seriously i may have reconsidered had i seen them first.

third...total parent pay day. your boy is stinking cute. what a sweet kid.

fourth...go UTES!!!!!

Ry Guy said...

Just to let you guys know, I didn't see ANY of those moves on Thursday. Although, a group from Farmington Elem. were doing the cha-cha dance all together in a circle - perhaps that scared some girls off from ME - since one "rejected" me when I asked her to dance.

Kristen said...

Ryan, she doesn't know what she was missing. The Gregson family thinks you're one great guy! You're welcome to come to our house for dance lessons anytime. Kennedy can teach you some of her moves. :)