The kids and I went up to Eden, Utah for the Labor Day Weekend. Jeff couldn't be there with us because he was back up in Canada for his Grandma's funeral. The kids and I really missed him. Distance did make our hearts grow fonder.
Grandma and Grandpa Ehman treated us to a fun stay at Wolfcreek Resort. The swimming in the huge pool and fun tube slide was great but the highlight of the weekend was HORSEBACK RIDING! The kids were very excited to go, but I must admit that when they saddled up I was a little anxious. I have a history with horseback riding. It ain't a pretty history either, folks. When I was in 8th grade, I went on a ride with a group of experienced riders and thought that because I LOVED horses so much, I somehow automatically became a proficient rider. Funny, but it doesn't really work like that. The horse I was riding decided he wanted to go home and took off running. Because I was so stupid when it came to the mechanics of riding a horse and I really had no business being in a saddle, I did all the wrong things. Long story short, I jumped/fell off the horse and broke my arm. I've never been truly at ease around horses since. I still love them and think it would be awesome to be a really good rider, but for now, I'll be satisfied being a spectator.
Grandma and Grandpa Ehman treated us to a fun stay at Wolfcreek Resort. The swimming in the huge pool and fun tube slide was great but the highlight of the weekend was HORSEBACK RIDING! The kids were very excited to go, but I must admit that when they saddled up I was a little anxious. I have a history with horseback riding. It ain't a pretty history either, folks. When I was in 8th grade, I went on a ride with a group of experienced riders and thought that because I LOVED horses so much, I somehow automatically became a proficient rider. Funny, but it doesn't really work like that. The horse I was riding decided he wanted to go home and took off running. Because I was so stupid when it came to the mechanics of riding a horse and I really had no business being in a saddle, I did all the wrong things. Long story short, I jumped/fell off the horse and broke my arm. I've never been truly at ease around horses since. I still love them and think it would be awesome to be a really good rider, but for now, I'll be satisfied being a spectator.
Grandma signed Britt up for a "pony ride" because he wasn't old enough to go on the regular guided ride. Pony ride?! THIS has to be the biggest pony I've ever seen. In fact, this was the biggest horse there.
Kennedy is definitely a city slicker. Maybe it's just her age...I'm sure there are other 12 year olds that would make sure they had on a cute necklace to go on such an excursion.
Can you see the smidgen of apprehension on Taiden's face? Once they got going he was fine.
Kennedy rode Cody, Grandpa rode Elmer, and Taiden rode Snickers.
Taiden's only complaint after their 1 1/2 hour ride was that he was a little saddle sore. Ouch!!
James, their guide, kept calling Kennedy "Little Lady"...
...and Taiden was "Cowboy".Shaw didn't get to enjoy the outdoor adventure but found his big toe and spent most of his time sucking on it.
The Littlest Cowboy on his BIG ride
Future rodeo riders?

7 comments:
I wonder if thats the same pony they advertise you can rent for parties? HOLY CRAP THAT THING IS HUGE...First and last experience with a horse was girls camp. Remember we almost died!!!!! Okay not really, but I was scared to death that at any moment I my horse was going to freak out and take off in a dead sprint, no one would have saved me. See, we almost died!
That looks like so much fun! Shhh. Don't tell my kids. they think you're not allowed to do anything fun while dad is gone.
Looks like you had a fun Labor Day. I had a similar experience with a horse, my outcome was better. I didn't end up with a broken arm.
How cute!
...and just FYI, all the horse-riding models in the new Eddie Bauer catalogue are wearing necklaces. I think Kennedy is just very fashion foward.
Hey! Leah just started the same big toe trick! What a fun weekend, sorry we missed you in Canada. Did the suckers make it home to the kids?
Yes, we enjoyed them. Thanks! It reminded me of my elementary school days when homemade suckers were the new "in" thing. Love the sucker molds.
Post a Comment