Saturday, August 28, 2010

After School Bliss in the Kitchen

I just got called to be the generic, no real name, Relief Society committee leader in my ward.


(Again.)

I feel a little bit like Prince when he ditched his stage name and was known by that weird symbol. Everybody just called him the artist formerly known as Prince. I guess everybody can call me the formerly known as Enrichment Night leader. Seriously, nobody really knows what the new name of my calling is. That's O.K. I've been through this duty before. I know the ropes.

Last Thursday our theme was Back to School Basics. We did 3 mini-classes: homework tips, ideas for home lunches, and after school snacks. Since I am a snack-a-holic, I chose that topic to demonstrate.

(I told the ladies they were helping me fulfill a lifelong dream of having my own cooking show. Since Food Network hasn't come knocking, I'll take what I can get.)

Here are the recipes I used. They do take a little bit of time and preparation, but the pay off is well worth it. Try them and you'll soon be the coolest, hippest, and tastiest mom on your block.



Fun and Creative After School Snacks



Crayon Pretzels


Pretzel Rods

Colored Candy Melts

Paper Crayon Wrappers (link is here)


Cut pretzel rods in half using sharp knife. Melt candy melts slowly in microwave (30 seconds, then stir) or place candy melts in double boiler and melt until smooth. Dip one half of pretzel rod in melted candy and set out to dry on wax paper. Once the colored candy is set on pretzel, dip the other half and set on wax paper again until dry. Wrap with colored paper using the wrappers listed above.



Caramel Dip


8 oz. cream cheese

¾ c. brown sugar

¼ c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla


Mix all ingredients with mixer and chill. Let refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so the sugar has a chance to dissolve. Stir before serving. Serve with any fruit of your choice.



Better Than Rio Dressing and Veggie Dip


1 pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix

1 c. mayo

½ c. buttermilk or canned milk

1 c. chopped cilantro

1 c. Herdez Salsa Verde (in Mexican food aisle)

2 cloves minced garlic

½ red pepper, chopped

canned jalapenos (to taste)


Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Serve with veggies, salad, or tortilla chips. Also great on burritos or other Mexican dishes. Store extra jalapeno peppers in freezer for future use.



Squeeze Fudge


1 oz. cream cheese

1/3 cube butter

1 ½ T. cocoa

1/3 tsp. vanilla

1 heaping cup powdered sugar


Put all ingredients in a ziplock sandwich bag. Squeeze and squish to your hearts content. Slide fudge to one end of bag, snip the corner off, and squeeze fudge out to eat.




Pineapple Celery Sticks


1 jar Kraft pineapple cheese spread (see here)

celery sticks


Fill cleaned and cut celery sticks with pineapple cheese.



Crunchy Granola Chews


2 ½ c. Rice Krispies

1 c. dried apricots, quartered

1 ¼ c. oatmeal

1 ¼ c. sunflower seeds, toasted

½ c. brown sugar

¾ c. honey

¾ c. peanut butter, super chunky


Mix first 4 ingredients. Melt sugar, honey, and peanut butter in saucepan. Stir until bubbly. Pour over dry ingredients and pour in 10x15” pan. Cool and cut into any size you want. Store in air tight container in refrigerator.



5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I've never tried the pineapple cheese - I'll have to. I've always used the Kraft pimento cheese in my celery sticks.
I shouldn't read this post this late at night - it makes me want to eat - and it's past my cut-off time! :(

Suzanne said...

P.S. I still call it "Homemaking Leader" and "Homemaking Night"

Trent and Britni said...

You are definitely the coolest, most creative mom around! =)

Thank you again for such a wonderful visit while we were out in Utah! I just love you ladies and it was so fun to see Miss Kennedy! It was so great to catch up! Love you and miss you already!

Aim said...

I have the same calling, well I'm not the one in charge. I'm on the board. I love these ideas, I'm going to remember them for a future idea. Do you have any good ideas for super sat?

Amy and Brad said...

This post is just what I needed today! Dropped Jacob off at his first day of kindergarten (it's ALL day here, too!) and was looking through cookbooks to find a cute after school snack WHILE checking blogs this morning! Now I can put the cookbooks away - thanks! By the way, you'll be awesome at this calling...again :)