This summer has been an unusual one.
I hate to say it, but I think my kids will actually look forward to going back to school this year. In school, there will be some structure and routine. They will actually be able to see their friends. The adults around them will wear respectable clothes with hair and make-up (where applicable) done. And a home cooked meal? Well, it's sad to say that what they eat at school may be a little more thought out and planned than the hodgepodge vittles they've been consuming around la maison de la construction.
The semi-constant drilling, worker-men music choices, summer heat, and shrunken eating area (all hail to the great wall of separation), has all but squelched my appetite and desire to cook. Don't be too concerned - we are all getting fed and my kids go to bed with a full tummy - but the quality and variety of meals have been very lackluster and sometimes nutritionally challenged.
(I bow my head in shame, Ina Garten.)
(But I do sing praises to the construction diet. 6 pounds off, baby!)
Last week was really the first time I truly and thoroughly almost lost it. Coming back from vacation with mountains of laundry and hitting the ground running, I was teetering on the edge of waving a white flag, telling our contractor to "STOP!", and packing our bags for anywhere in the world where power tools and compressors are outlawed. I was walking around with a constant lump in my throat and in dire need of control over something....ANYTHING. My house is in transition, my yard is a mess, my kids miss past summers that were fun, and DIY projects have been a constant in our current living space.
The breaking point was when I received a letter from the city and a nicely printed picture of our basketball standard. They don't like the fact that it is in the street. Did they miss the visual clues that we have no driveway, that we are in full blown construction chaos, that we have no other place to put the basketball standard except in the street, and that my toddler runs around in his paper pants (sans clothing) most days? When I read that letter (coupled with the constant, nagging lump in my throat and the sound of drills ringing in my ears) I cried.
(I only allowed myself to cry for about 45 seconds, but what a therapeutic, cleansing 45 seconds it was.)
This week I decided to shift gears, take a DEEP breath, and shake the sawdust off my emotions. I started the week with a paint can half full view of my life and current situation and decided to look for every single blessing that I have. What a difference this mindset has made. One week later, and my attitude has had a major face lift. I can see the light at the end, the wonderful blessings that abound, and the direct hand of a loving Heavenly Father working in our lives.
* This week, I learned that interest rates are the lowest they've been. A 30 year fixed rate for 4.275% - 4.375%. We can't lock into our rate until construction is finished, but our loan officer thinks these rates will stick around for awhile. HUGE BLESSING. This will dramatically affect our end mortgage payment.
* On Monday, a gal in our ward offered us an additional 20% off (friends and family) card to a store where she works. We can use it towards back to school shopping. Shoes, clothing, school supplies....all the stuff we are still in need of. Another blessing.
* We love what is happening with our house and any former worries or concerns have passed by the wayside. We are feeling that we have passed over the top of a large mountain of stress. Our contractor says we have 2 months left and what we're realizing is we are approaching the fun part of the construction process (yes, there is such a thing). Cabinetry, tile work, doors, door headers, paint, carpet, lighting, trim, and other finish work. The addition's empty space is taking shape, with promises of a great place to gather lots of friends and family in the future.
* I have formed a long lasting friendship with DIY projects - something I swore I would never do. Painting no longer intimidates me and I've become a regular at Home Depot. 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom have been crossed off of my TO DO list this week and the end results have been so incredibly rewarding. Pictures to come - can't wait to show you.
* I got another piano student.
* Friday night, I was able to gather with extended family at a Mackintosh reunion. It's been years since we've all been together and it was so fun to see everyone again. I was able to give both of my brothers a hug and let them know that I love them. I miss them.
* We had a wonderful ward conference today and I was so touched by the Spirit. Our Stake President is a man that talks straight with a warmth and charity about him as to not offend. His words touched my heart and I know that I have so much that I need to do to be a better person and example of my Savior. I appreciate the spiritual recharge that I get every week at church.
I could go on and on about the small, seemingly insignificant happenings throughout the week that made me stop, make a mental note, and count the abundance of blessings in my life. It's been a good week and the sun continues to shine.
When we look, we will see. Our blessings are endless.
3 comments:
I love your attitude, Kristen. We all have those moments of trial, but you did the perfect thing to look for the blessings rather than focus on the frustration. You are a wonderful example. And I've come to really realize what the Savior taught; that by small and simple things will great things come to pass. Never underestimate those things that seem small and insignificant - they all add up! Keep up the good work. I love you!
You know that when it gets to be too much you're always welcome to go on another vacation and come stay with us until the dust settles. You know - one of those "going to visit the Grandparents" vacation.
Your "lackluster cooking" is still probably better than what A LOT of people are getting!!
I've had to use the "Blessing List" before, too (one instance was when a green bean, sheltered, Utah missionary [me] arrived in a land far, far away [Japan] and...it's a long story) - but I can also attest that it DOES work!
Post a Comment