Let's see.
This past week I've...
1. ...watched the framing of my home continue and realized that what the plans show is not always what reality dictates. Most people worry about a new addition being too small. I, however, have worried about it being too big. My mind's eye envisioned (and the plans showed) a perfectly quaint carriage house attached to our pioneer home, but I think we're going to end up with one Brobdingnagian barn. A barn big enough for most of the animals in our town. It is large. It is mammoth. But in the end, it will all come together, it will be beautiful, and the parties will be fan-ta-stic!
(And Jeff is stoked that he gets to sleep in the hayloft.)
2. ...watched one of our walls get blown over in the storm of 2010. The paranoid side of me wondered if the original owners of this home were displeased with the progress and had anything to do with the gust that took down the timber.
(I also wondered if the animals were going to start gathering two by two.)
3. ...done 11 hours of new construction cleaning with a friend to earn some money. New construction cleaning is easy but very dusty.
4. ...met with our contractor to get a breakdown of all the things that need to be picked out for the addition. Passing that buck over to my friend, Randee. I know whatever she decides will be beautiful. (Just stay away from mauve, please.)
5. ...readied two boys for scout camp. Scout shirt? Check. Sunscreen? Check. Swimming suit and towel? Check. Lunch and spending money? Check and double check.
(Also warned them that there will be a thorough tick check when they get home.)
6. ...decided that I didn't have quite enough on my plate this week, so opted to start painting the kitchen cabinets. I, at first, thought I would take it slowly and give myself a month to get it all done. Now that I know they want to tear down my kitchen wall in one week (to tie in the addition), I now have exactly 6 days to get it finished. With the amount of dust and debris that will be swirling around my house (from the adobe brick and 18 inches of solid Farmington rock) I figure I better get the painting done now while I have a dust free environment to work in.
(Everyone, friend or foe, is invited to my house for one continuous painting party. You provide the (wo)manpower and I'll provide the treats and intoxicating fumes.)
7. ...told my kids that the amount of money we threw away at the dentist office this week (curse you cavities!) could have bought us all season passes to Lagoon.
(Or allowed me to hire some help for my current painting project.)
8. ...worried that this blog will soon become a dumping ground for all of my house addition woes and angst. I promise to try and not let that happen (too often). The stress and pressure that everyone warned me about is starting to creep in. I'm seeing it in our faces, in the underlying current of daily life, in the amount of television being watched by my children, and in the quality of our dinners lately.
(I don't want to be a whiner. Please don't go away, blog friends.)
9. ...realized I'm really good at avoidance behaviors. If my fingers are busy typing on the computer, how can I possibly hold a paint brush?
9. ...realized I'm really good at avoidance behaviors. If my fingers are busy typing on the computer, how can I possibly hold a paint brush?
I need a hug.

7 comments:
I finally remembered my password and I am wondering when you want me to come and help paint? I am serious. I love to paint and right now I have no painting projects in motion. I'll be right over just let me know when you are painting.
If you're serious, how about Monday or Tuesday? I'll be doing it pretty steadily those days, so anytime would be great...let's talk. First we cleaned together, now we'll paint together. What's next? ;)
Wish I was there to help! Maybe then I might tackle my own cabinets! Hug, hug! :)
(( HUGS ))
The remodeling thing DOES wear on you - I got pretty strung out when we were having our basement finished and then adding another bathroom/remodel...all those guys constantly IN my home! I was so ready for it to be done - and those 2 projects only took a month each!
But you must be doing well enough to remember lunches & sunscreen for your scouters! :)
I hope the painting is going well! Wish I was there to help!
mauve was a beautiful color in the 80's missy! beautiful. your home would be so lucky...
send your children to my house with Kennedy and I'll come and help paint...it would feel like a vacation!
i'll come over soon and give you a hug...and i don't give hugs so it will really mean somehting!
How great that you are adding on to your fun house! Maybe we will have to move back to Farmington and live there for the rest of our lives because I know you'll be around! =) And you're pretty much wonderful! Hope all of your projects go well for you my friend! Love ya!
Post a Comment