Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Judging This Book by its Cover

I'll admit that when my mom handed me this book that she had read for her book club and suggested that I read it, I was a little skeptical.


The title sounded really cliche' to me.  It didn't sound like anything special or new.  


However, the cover of the book (which, of course, I always judge) spoke to the romantic side of me that has always dreamt of having an English garden.  A garden with an abundance of perennials, mossy stone lined paths, trimmed hedges, and a gate.  Oh, and a cute little cottage to go right along with it.

Being sold on the cover, I read this book and loved it.  Kate Morton did a fine job of mixing and twisting a story line full of intrigue, sorrow, love, mystery, injustice, determination and will.  It's a great book and one that will keep you guessing the whole way through.

Any suggestions for my next read? 

3 comments:

Amy and Brad said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll hit the library for it this weekend!

Suzanne said...

Kristen - WHEN do you read?....
And Blog [on a consistent basis]? And run? And cook? And go out with your friends? And watch "LOST" or whatever show? And clean your house? And talk w/ your long-winded teenager? ;) And garden? And, And, And.....
Because I only do about two of those things - and reading is not one of them, so I have no recommendations, so SORRY!
But, seriously - Do you sleep? Are you a Vampire? :) Or some other Supernatural Being?
Please do a Blog Post/Tutorial on your "schedule" that includes ALL of the above and more! :)

Leslie said...

Just finished The Help, and I am now rereading The Poisonwood Bible. It is on Madi's summer reading list. The Founding Mothers is another great read! :)