Monday, May 10, 2010

Unburying My Talents


I've been tickling the ivories for 32 years.

{Imagine what that number would be in dog years!}

12 years of piano lessons in my youth.  Mrs. Holbrook and I had weekly dates going over scales and arpeggios.  She taught me the classics for which I will be forever grateful.  It was during my adolescence that I fell in love with Mozart. His music took me to a different place and time and transfixed me.  He still remains my favorite composer and Amadeus remains one of my favorite movies.

{Couldn't ever convince Jeff to use the name Wolfgang though.}

Over the years, people have approached me about teaching piano lessons.  I always said "no" because it never felt right. Life was busy, my heart was elsewhere, and it didn't feel like a good fit.

But now it does.

A friend mentioned to me several months ago that she was looking for a new piano teacher and wished that I taught.  It got me to thinking. Why not?  I love music.  I've played since I was 6 years old.  I graduated with a degree in education, taught school, I know how to work with kids.

I'm going for it.

I'm not going to come up with some snooty, upper crust name like Kristen's Piano Academy for Musical Proteges or Kristen's Studio for the Future Pianoforte Masters of the Universe.  No, it will not be nearly that formal or courtly.  It will simply be me doing my best to instill a love of music and an appreciation for the piano in my students. Learning to play is a lifelong skill that I'm grateful to have and I look forward to sharing.

{I should probably thank my mother at this point.  Thanks, mom, for all of those years of piano tuition, for the reminders to practice, and for not letting me quit as a teenager.  Thanks to my dad for being my chauffeur during my high school years.  6:30 a.m. lessons were early for both of us, but you willingly drove me and waited patiently out in the car.}

My imaginary "Yes, We're Open" sign is in place.  If you or someone you know is in need of a piano teacher, please keep me in mind.  I'll teach both children and adults.  I'll be starting with 10 students and 2 of those spots are already filled.  

Thanks for your consideration.

{I'm off to practice.}

click to enlarge

7 comments:

Julie said...

Good for you!!! I wish we lived nearby to be your students. Piano teachers are hard to find around here. Hope it all works out well!

Aim said...

That is so great that you are going to be teaching piano. Maybe sometime I will be able to talk one of my kids into taking Piano lessons. I will for sure think of you first.

Rita said...

Are you REALLY practicing those pieces?! Whew.

Kristen said...

Rita - this particular piece of music is a farce. :D

Rita said...

SHEESH. I didn't know if I should be scared or uber impressed!

sandi said...

I wished we lived closer so I could take lessons from you. You will be a great teacher. Kudos to you!!!

Suzanne said...

I only took piano for 8 years, so I guess the extra 4 years you got make a BIG DIFFERENCE since I'm in TROUBLE if anyone asks me to play any Hymn other than "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet" without any notice!
And...when I tried sitting down with one of my children during piano practicing time once to "help" him...he informed me, "Janene [his piano teacher] is WAY better [translated: "nicer"] than you!"
So there you have it, it takes someone BETTER than I to do the job, so hats off to you!