I remember taking Lamaze classes before our first child was born, and trying to really capture the essence of "standing in a field of wheat, a gentle breeze swaying the golden grain...back and forth....slowly....all the while taking you to a place of tranquility and inner peace." I couldn't wrap my mind around it. I would start to inwardly laugh (with my eyes closed - as directed by the teacher) and think about how horribly itchy a field of wheat would feel and how there might be grasshoppers ready to pounce.
Call me a pessimist or a realist. Either way, I struggle with the positive mental imagery thinga-ma-jig.
Just days away from my first half-marathon race and I should be loading my head with visions of strength and endurance. With hydration and energy. With power and accomplishment. I should be envisioning myself lengthening my stride, running a personal best, and crossing the finish line with tears in my eyes because I accomplished something challenging and because I have felt the love and support of family and friends.
Move over, Encouraging Notions. Good ol' Mr. Worst Case Scenario wants a piece of the action in my subconscious.
This is what my brain keeps recycling over and over again.

And DON'T try and tell me that this kind of thing doesn't happen, because OBVIOUSLY it does. Why else would I have a picture of it? And when I hear stories of people downing Imodium to prevent terribly smelly accidents like this, I know that it is real. And another thing I've realized about myself, is that my stomach starts rumbling at around mile 10.
I've got my running pack ready with water bottle, GU, iPod, and timer. There is absolutely no room left for wet wipes.
I don't care about my time. I know I can finish.
But can I run a clean race?
** Post note: My lovely and terribly supportive friend, Patricia, sent me this picture last year before my Ragnar race. What a dear. Thanks for planting those seeds, Patricia. My bowels will be forever grateful to you.
16 comments:
You will do great! With that said...Thank goodness for porta potties and anything else you can find along the way! Unfortunately, in my last race I ran from one potty to the next. It was the first time that has happened to me, but it did make for a miserable run. The good news...I did finish and with a decent time, if you subtracted all the time for my potty stops! :) Can't wait to hear how you do!
WHY didn't HE stop in one of the many port-a-potties along the way?!?
Before I read your words, and looked at the pic, I thought that was throw up on him...so I guess that's another lovely possibility during the race! ;) SORRY if that puts another bad image in your head! But, just look at all the people looking at him. haha. I mean, POOR GUY!
I am so excited for you! Just have fun!!! You have trained, you will do AWESOME! And good luck with the piano lessons. You will be a fabulous teacher.
My brother in law in Vegas gives himself an enema the night before his iron-man races. Just a thought . . . . You'll do great!!! (I didn't soil myself -- in fact, I don't think anyone did that day.)
You are about to accomplish an AMAZING thing. It will show how strong you are physically, mentally emotionally, and sphincterly. You do difficult things. I will see you at the finish!
Ah, Chadwick - not only did you make me laugh but you taught me a new word. I'm going to try and use that word at least once a day for the next week. :D
You will do great in the race!
Eewww! Aunt kristin! Dont be him! And dont be worried im sure you will do fine! Have fun!
Kristen you will do great!!! No worries. And as for your new word, my Andrew has you beat. He uses the word sphincter all the time!!! He likes the way it sounds - he doesn't use it totally in context, which is a good thing, but he likes to throw it around and sound smart and all that. BOYS!!!
Julie - I've definitely appreciated the word "sphincter" for many years, but I've just never used it in the context of "being strong sphincterly." That is very appropriate for my current situation. It's the added "LY" that makes it so much more fun.
Okay that is really gross! At first I just saw his face and how determined he looked to finish the race. Then I read what you wrote and I looked back and then I saw it. You will do great. If this does happen to you, I hope that nobody takes a picture of it and posts it on the internet.
Thanks to everyone for the support! I appreciate your encouragement and positive vibes!!!! xoxoxox
I have been thinking about you for a couple of days and can't wait for your 1/2 marathon debut. It is 1000 times easier than Ragnar...especially Ragnar in the rain so you will do great.
The steep downhill can be rough on your tummy (and your lower content clasp). I take pepto bismol the night before and lots of tums the morning of. Everyone has a plan of some sort...everyone except the pictured pooper. Pit stopping during the race is a bummer (pun intended) but it beats the alternative humiliation!!
I hope we see you race morning but if not, I am anxiously awaiting your race report.
This will NOT happen to you!! Sorry about the haunting pic, there are so many other pictures out there to put in your head! I'll be cheering you on at the finish! Look out for my boy at the start K! :)
Okay, that is a picture that, once seen, will probably stay with a person forever!
Sending lots of positive thoughts your way for the big race! Good luck with everything! It sounds like you have trained hard and you are ready - so exciting!
I used to get horrible stomach cramps after I ran 10K's so I know what you're talking about. Just do the immodium thing about an hour before your race. You'll be fine to the finish....it's when you are done that I'm worried about! I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck. You go girl!!!
Post a Comment