For me, Disneyland is like going home.
Having been born in Southern California and spending my younger years there, memories of my childhood are dotted with trips to the happiest place on earth. Most vivid are images of my brother and I running from ride to ride with our cousins, Julie and Justin. I even remember the days when we used ticket books for the rides and E tickets were the coveted prize. I always wanted to live inside It's a Small World, grab a handful of golden coins from Pirates of the Caribbean, and loved to be reassured that Thunder Mountain was "the wildest ride in the wilderness."
While I've enjoyed sharing this magical vacation spot with my kids numerous times, I've also enjoyed being able to rekindle my youth on trips with just girlfriends. At the spry age of 38 years old, I will hold my head up high and ignore the eye rolling and the naysayers prodding questions...."Don't you really need your kids to enjoy a trip to Disneyland?!"
"No way, Jose!"
I will never apologize for being a kid at heart.
{And for believing in pixie dust.}
The only way these girly girls would go on Splash Mountain was if I'd sit in the front seat and take the brunt of the moisture.
Cheryl, Laura, Summer, Kristen, Randee, Paige
Summer was our golden ticket this year. She blew out her knee about 6 weeks ago while skiing, had surgery, and was still in a knee brace on our trip. Because walking was still laborious for her, she rode in a wheelchair and was our direct link to the front of all the lines at Disneyland.
Randee REEAAALLLLYYY wanted to take these Mad Hatter hats back to Jeremy and Jeff, but I talked her out of it. I told her she was just getting caught up in the moment. :D
Our first ride on Splash Mountain proved to be disastrous to my hair. Since I was banished to the front of the raft again on our second run, I was determined to be better prepared. Notice the gift bag. On my head. Since I don't prefer suffocating, I rigged myself some air holes.While on the trip, I ate a huge piece of humble pie happily dished up by Randee and Cheryl. Last year I was the reigning Annie Oakley of the group. I had some mad rifle skills at the Shooting Gallery. This year I failed miserably. Cheryl kicked my hiney big time. Randee dominated both times we rode the Toy Story ride. I walked away with my head hung low but you can be rest assured I'll be quick on my draw next year.
Grizzly River Run. Of course, I campaigned to go on another water ride because I have no pride and don't mind looking like a drowned rat, and I thoroughly enjoy walking around in wet jeans (nothin' feels better!) Everyone went ahead and spent $49.95 on a poncho to keep dry.(It should be noted here that the free shower cap can also double as lunch lady head wear.)
(It should also be noted that, after looking at myself in this picture, I am definitely convinced that I need to do some modeling. Seriously...)
Sasquatch and Polly Pocket.
Disney's California Adventure was hosting the Food and Wine Festival. They had cooking demonstrations with celebrity chefs throughout the weekend. We saw Jeffrey Saad (runner up on The Next Food Network's Star) several times during our stay. He sat at the table next to ours at the Napa Rose restaurant (where I ate black truffles for the first time in my life) and he passed us several times in the park.
When he was on stage doing a food demonstration, we stopped to watch for a minute. I wished I hadn't.
I know it's hard to read his lips in this picture, but what he's saying is, "Hey you....in the shower cap.... you should model!"

6 comments:
Love the shower cap! And I'm glad to see that you have company up in your giant world this time.
ahhhh. what a trip. can't wait till next year! and yes, you should model!
Looks like you had a great time!!! I'm so glad.
OH HOW FUN!! Love all those pics and I am with you - Disneyland is fun...period (kids or no!)
I have to say that I HATE TOWER OF TERROR WITH ALL MY HEART.
I also have to say that YOU, Ms. Kristen, are wasting away! You are one skinny Minnie, girl!
I am so glad that you had fun (like you won't with that group?!?!) Ann and I are thinking of going the 1st of the year. and girlfriends do have more fun. I bursted out laughing at your shower cap. That was the funniest, ever. When Ann and I rode Jurassic park at Universal, we were so wrapped in the poncho that only our eyes showed...and people were starring at us. But we looked great when we got off, and they were dripping buckets of water. I will not forget to keep a shower cap handy next time! Miss you!
So sweet that Taiden leaves you notes!
Post a Comment