Have you ever watched the news and seen video clips of city council meetings that are heated and riotous? Meetings where the room is cram packed full of red faced, hot tempered individuals ready to spew venomous words that are either for or against a proposed issue?
Those scenes scare me.
So, last night when I was required to go before our local city council and plead a case for our upcoming addition/remodel, I was a bit nervous. No, I didn't anticipate a room full of fuming people ready to shoot daggers at me, but I was a bit tentative of how it would all play out. I half expected old man Gatrell from down the street to be picketing outside the meeting - disapproving our proposed exterior marble fountain feature complete with half nake-ed sculptures of Jeff and I.
{Hey, we just think Farmington needs to work on being a little more avant garde, that's all.}
Truthfully, nobody else showed up besides myself, our contractor, the city council members, and the sweet lady taking minutes for the meeting. They were warm, welcoming, and very kind. I am, however, on the record for saying, "I feel like I've been sent to the Principal's office" when I first approached the microphone. I was then asked to state my name and address. All the while the sweet lady taking minutes was typing away. That stupid statement will be forever linked to me. Forever in history. Oh, mercy.
Because our home is historic and in the historical district, there are certain rules and regs that we're supposed to follow when adding on. Our plans were slightly outside some of those rules, but we were issued a Conditional Use Permit so we're good to go now. It's taken awhile to get to this point, but we're thrilled we're finally here and that excavation is scheduled for Monday, May 10. Huzzah!
If I planned a ground breaking ceremony, would you all come?
{What if I promised there would be food and a band?}
7 comments:
Hey.......we'll be there! Love ya!
Yea for getting the go ahead on the new addition! I would totally come to a ground breaking party.
Congratulations!!! And I can think of alot worse things for being on record to have said!!! Probably everyone who goes before the City Council feels like they've been sent to the principal's office. Glad it all worked out! When you get tired of dirt getting tracked in everywhere, just remember how excited you were to start this remodel!!! It will be SOOOOO worth it in the end.
How exciting! Can't wait to see reports on the update as it moves forward! And I would be tempted to drive 10 hours to the ground breaking if there were to be lots of Kristen-made treats on hand!!
Ha ha ha. Love the comment and I'm glad it's on record because you're cute like that!
I can't wait to see that giant hole...hopefully Shaw-free. Congratulations!
I had NO IDEA that you'd have to take this sort of thing to the City Council!!!
I could TOTALLY be persuaded by your FOOD at the ground breaking! ;)
Did you have to change your plans? What's "conditional use" - or whatever - mean? That you can only use your house to LIVE IN....as opposed to.... what? (I guess with your planned statues out front, they may have been a little confused at your intent with the addition!) :)
Suzanne - No we didn't have to change our plans. The "footprint" of our addition is slightly larger than our original house and our addition is slightly taller than our original house...both of these issues are not in line with the OTR (historical district) so we had to be given the OK to go ahead and build it the way that we want to. Plus, we get to give the city money to let us do it!
Post a Comment