Friday, August 14, 2009

How Many Friends Does it Take to Deliver a Baby?


The evening started out innocently enough.

Pasta.  Lots of pasta.  And friends.  Lots of friends.

Megan, a highly entertaining Canadian gal who speaks in hilarious high pitched tones when she's nervous or excited, was amongst our group.  She is due to have her 4th baby in 2 weeks. She generally has such a sparkling wit about her but last night she just wasn't herself.  She was horribly uncomfortable, a little bit on edge, and not full of her usual comedy.  We were concerned.  Several thought she might be in labor.  Several more concurred with the idea.  A phone call was made.  The doctor was out of town but the on-call doc would suffice.  Someone suggested that they wanted to take her to the hospital.  Several more jumped on board.  Megan agreed; she's always up for any sort of social gathering.  

Her husband agreed to let 4 of us take her to the hospital to have her checked out.  He would be called immediately if there were signs of any real active labor.  As at-home moms, we jumped at the chance to have some spontaneity. Whisking a friend to the hospital at 10:15 p.m. with the chance of seeing her water break in the parking lot is WAY more exciting than watching the evening news.  

"This would be so much fun if it wasn't ME," Megan kept saying.

Oh, boy.  It was fun.

She was sent to a room and given a gown that was 2 sizes too small.  Chyrese and I went downstairs to admissions.  The looks and raised eyebrows and confusion over the situation was quite funny.   "No, her husband is not here."   "Yes, we are just her friends."   "Yes, she wants to be an organ donor but do you need to do an evil chuckle when you ask?"   "Yes, she does want you to have on record and in your database that the name of her baby will be Kristen Chyrese G----.  We promise.  She told us."

Upstairs, they hooked her up to monitors, did a urine test, and we waited. Waited for the fireworks.  Waited for the shrieks of agony.  Waited for the peaks on the print outs to indicate that her sweet little baby girl was ready to have her birth day party.

But nothing.

Long story short, she ended up just having a bladder infection.  That was the cause of all of the pain, pressure, and discomfort.  Not a squeal.  No flinching or eye rolling.  No stirrups.  My camera cried a tear or two.  No live action shots.  :)

But a whole lot of laughing, and teasing, and story telling.  Oh, the topics of conversation that manage to surface in a hospital room!  A night we'll soon not forget.  The night that 4 women hoped to be there when precious K.C.G was born.

WAY, WAY, WAY more fun than sleeping. 




5 comments:

Chris said...

It was too much fun for words! Except you and your gift for words seemed to do an amazing job as usual. I had a blast....Jack thinks we are all nuts and not a good influence on each other. Can our husbands control who we hang out with like our parents did? Funny as it all sounds, Jack would happily pick all of you. So WHO is next to conjure up an adventure? Kristen? Chyrese? Randee?

Gibbs Family said...

I still can't believe that REALLY happened. Seems like a weird dream of sorts. But it does make for a good story. I know that everyone else was a little bummed that there was no baby to be had, but I for one, was happy NOT to be giving birth that night...(although that would have made an ever BETTER story!) What a night! I can't thank all of you enough for keeping me laughing because I probably would have been crying otherwise.
Baby or no baby. Hospital or no hospital. I'd take the whole lot of you gals anywhere with me and I know we'd have a fabulous time! (But seriously, I would have had a much better time if it WASN'T me!!)

Mitchell Family said...

so fun! seriously so fun! i thought i was getting too old to have fun like this...but i've been proven wrong. you gals are often. megan, tell jeff we'll take you to the hospital when you've officially gone into labor...i think it's only fair...

MomMitchell said...

This is Randee's mom-in-law. Your posts are so dang funny!! Randee keeps telling me how funny you are and she is right. However, I would love to join your little group, you always have way too much fun and I'm all about fun!! Just kidding, so glad you can hang out and have fun, cause we all need to have some good times.

Suzanne said...

Here I go again...I always think I recognize people in your photos...BUT, is that "Miss Chris?" As in Haylee's preschool teacher at Knowlton? How do you know her? Haylee still wishes she could just go to preschool every year instead of moving on! (Thanks to Miss Chris AND a boy she had a crush on in the class!) :)