Wednesday, January 14, 2009

We Should've Named Him Hoover


Shaw is an expert of the pincher grasp.  He has the visual acuity of a hawk.  His arm's mobility goes in one direction and one direction only - to his mouth.  Hence, my floor is spic-n-span (and not because my older kids are good at domestic duties).  


The evidence is always all over his chin.  Remnants of the morning's breakfast (generally cereal of some sort).   Bits of breaded treasures from lunches.  Even finite specks of bygone meals or dusty bunnies are consumed by my little Dyson.   

He is patient.  The other day I watched as he worked intensely on picking up a minuscule single strand of thread.  He was calm.  He was focused.  He succeeded and lapped up his prize like it was a scrumptious morsel.  Sometimes his snacks are so small I can't even see what he is putting into his mouth.  He can, and he smacks his gummy gums and gives me a wrinkled nose smile and a snort.  Little Dirt Devil!

4th child.  Extra protein.  More defense against other lurking germs out there.  A developmental milestone all my other kids survived.  Though, I think my floor was kept cleaner back then.  Eureka!

4 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Ha ha -- so funny! Isn't it funny how your perspective changes the more children you have? Cute picture!

Jen

Aim said...

Cedric is totally the same way, he thinks that it is funny when I am trying to sweep to chase the dirt pile around and try to eat it. I am getting really quick at sweeping the floor.

Rita said...

What a darling post. Aren't you glad that you can enjoy something that would have had you debating a call to 911 with your first kid? Live long and prosper, Orek, I mean, Shaw.

Daina Crowell said...

Ha ha, we have totally given up sweeping after Leah eats and comment, "Leah will clean it up later."