Monday, April 19, 2010

'ello Spring!

I think it's finally safe to segue ourselves into full fledged spring.


That means spring cleaning.  Yard work.  Taking loads of unworn sweaters and long sleeves to the local D.I. and transitioning the closets and drawers to our lighter wears.

It also means lighter fares.

I've said good-bye to the comfort foods of winter.  The creamy potatoes, hearty soups, and heavier dishes that kept us warm as the temperatures dropped.  But now that our love handles need to come out of hibernation, I'm ushering in the refreshing bites of spring with a peppy, "Hiya!"  To me, spring means fresh salads and colorful dishes.  Chilled, vibrant flavors.

Last week, I made this salad for my dad.  Since he is being careful about what he eats - wants lots of veggies with no meat - this was perfect for him.  It is packed with flavor - in fact, I call it "Smack You in the Face with Flavor Salad".  If that name is too violent for you, you can simply call it Asian Noodle Salad.  It is a variation of Jamie Oliver's salad.  (I got it from my best friend that I've never met - The Pioneer Woman).  Don't you love Jamie Oliver?  He's the passionate chef with a lispy English accent.  He's adorable.  And that boy can cook!


This recipe makes a ton so it's perfect for parties or picnics.  Enjoy!

Salad Ingredients:

1 package linguine noodles, cooked, rinsed, and cooled (I use whole wheat noodles)
1/2 head sliced Napa cabbage, or more to taste
1/2 head sliced purple cabbage, or more to taste
1/2 bag baby spinach, or more to taste
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 bag bean sprouts (or a generous handful)
1 bunch cilantro
4+  green onions, sliced, 
1 can cashews, lightly toasted in skillet


Dressing Ingredients:

1 whole lime, juiced
8 Tbsp. olive oil
8 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/3 c. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (MUST be fresh)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 - 2 fresh jalapenos, chopped
chopped cilantro

Mix salad ingredients together.  Whisk dressing ingredients and pour over salad right before serving.  

* I sometimes add chunks of chicken to make it a little more substantial.  It's great either way.

{photo from The Pioneer Woman website}
{Hey, P-Dub, call me!  We'll do lunch!}

6 comments:

Aim said...

This sounds very yummy! I will have to give it a try.

Julie said...

Looks delicious - I'll be trying that one out!!

Amy and Brad said...

Ooooh, THAT looks yummy! I will definitely be trying it!

Mitchell Family said...

yummy!!!!! need to make!

Will said...

im hungry

Leslie said...

Looks amazing!! Can't wait to try it this weekend!!