Welcome to October in Utah. The crunchy leaves Shaw and I enjoyed 2 days ago are now a sloshy, sloppy mess on the lawn. Hopefully, they will dehydrate again before Halloween. Walking through crisp leaves is a big part of trick or treating. At least it was to me.
Yep, that's snow.
One of the many things I love about living in the Beehive state, is that we enjoy all 4 seasons in their truest form. Although winter is trying to snow on fall's parade this year. Yes, it seems a little premature to be thinking about skiing and sledding and snowmen, but it is what it is and I won't complain.
Sorry folks, but I like the snow. I think it's a bit rude of it to arrive a good month early, but it is usually temperamental and shows up without asking permission.
(Totally disregarding the leaves still on the trees and covering my yard.)
With the colder temps comes my reunion with warm comfort foods. I've said good-bye to the cool salads of summer. Chilly weather makes me crave earthy spices and creamy textures and things that stick to my ribs (and my bottom and thighs). The kind of foods that promise warmth and security and comfort from the elements outside.
The kind of foods that make me want to curl up, read a good book and hibernate for awhile.
Here are two recipes to start the season off right. This first one I found in November's Better Homes and Gardens. I think it was the only redeeming thing in the entire magazine (it was a snoozer this month). This is technically a comfort drink but I swear on all of my kids' Halloween candy that this will knock your socks off. I made some tonight and my family was swooning over it. I even took some to my friend (who wasn't sure she was going to like it) and she didn't leave a single drop for her husband.
Trust me. I would never lead you astray when it comes to a good recipe.
Coconut Tres Leches Hot Chocolate
3 c. milk (called for skim but I only had 1% so that's what I used)
14-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk (can use 1/2 can if you want)
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla
sweetened whipped cream (optional)
chocolate shavings (optional)
Simmer all 3 milks (see - tres leches) in sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add cocoa and whisk well. Take off heat and add vanilla. Serve in mugs with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Makes 5 (1 cup) servings.
***
The next recipe is one that I posted on my sidebar under May We Suggest... last year. Many of you may not have caught it, so I'm putting it here. Pumpkin screams "edible warm fuzzies" to me. I love pumpkin. This muffin recipe is easy and makes a large batch - at least 2 dozen.
Pumpkin Muffins
4 eggs
2 c. white sugar
1 1/2 c. oil (or use 3/4 c. oil and 3/4 c. applesauce...texture will be slightly different but still good)
1 small can pumpkin
3 1/2 c. flour (slightly less if you're using applesauce substitution)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. chocolate chips (or raisins if you prefer)
Beat eggs slightly. Add sugar, oil, pumpkin and beat thoroughly. Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes or until completely set. Don't overcook.
***
It's here that I have to admit that the title of this post is a little bit deceiving. The 41 extra minutes at the gym is actually more like 57 extra minutes. And that's not just for one day. That's probably everyday for an entire week. But these recipes are worth every single extra calorie you have to burn off.
So, grab a good book, sip your coconut cocoa and nibble on a warm muffin.
Winter is coming early in Utah.
And my kitchen's ready.
4 comments:
coconut cocoa! You are mean, mean, mean. That sounds wonderful!
My only goal during this time of year is to maintain the weight I am currently at. No loosing, just maintaining. It is not easy when everything tastes so good and keeps me so warm.
The recipes sound great. Pray do tell where to get coconut milk. That's not something I think I've ever shopped for so I'm not even sure where to look! Leave it to you to know good food. Sorry about the snow. It is a bit early, and you guys got summer late this year, so we'll pray for a bit more fall for you for now!
mmmmmmm....thank you for the sip test...jeremy is making me make him his own batch this weekend. yummmmmmmeeeeeee!
I hear ya on the extra time at the gym. I entered your great muffin recipe into the Weight Watchers calculator and...one muffin is 7 points! OUCH!! And that's even with substituting "Real Egg Product" which is less than eggs. But they are so good! Kyle downs 5 in a single sitting! So, my kids are happy that if the point value is scaring me off, I'm eating less of them, and they get to eat more! :)
Post a Comment